Israel under Siege

May 21st, 2021 at 6:49:15 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
It seems that a ceasefire has been agreed upon to go into effect at 1900 EST today (which has passed). So far it seems as this has been followed (granted its only been two hours).

Hopefully, this will lead to peace in our time and that differences can be worked out without violence increasing again.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/20/israel-and-hamas-agree-to-cease-fire-over-gaza-conflict-reports-say.html

I give President Biden massive credit for his tireless work in this regard, not giving in to pressure to be more public. This is the kind of work that needs to happen behind the scenes and not become a media circus. So I don't give any credence to the criticisms from both the far left and the far right that he should have been more transparent. Results are what matters at the end of the day and he (President Biden) is delivering them without compromising American values or alliances.

Yeah, given the reading that I have done on the matter, my conclusion is that we have seen this show before. Rinse and repeat. Some rinses are longer than others and some are shorter.

The violence is very much a controlled one and starts off with little acts of aggression (some of which aren't even decided directly by any particular state) that then escalate and result in something close to warfare, if not actual warfare. I am sure many of the non decision-makers on both sides would prefer peace and to arrive at a permanent solution that is agreeable to all parties and states, but that is unlikely.

I have no position on the way that Biden has handled this matter because my opinion begins and ends with, "We should have nothing to do with it." Having something to do with it already runs contrary to what I think we should be doing, so therefore, there aren't many actions that I would consider better or worse within the framework of having something to do with it.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 21st, 2021 at 3:14:38 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
Unfortunately, there's so much with your post that I fundamentally disagree with that I don't even know where to start.

Let's start with, "It's actually only," and, "Small sliver." We're talking about 3.8B dollars, and I don't know about you, but having $50,000 in new money in front of me would drastically change my planning for the next year.

It's bad enough that we're completely desensitized to the notion of 3.8B in Federal spending on anything, but now, we're talking about 3.8B in foreign spending in a conflict across the globe to aid them in a military matter that shouldn't be any of our concern in the first place.

The next thing we have is, "Even if you cut all 40 billion of all aid it would hardly dent the budget." That's the kind of thinking that, applied to personal finance, leads to bankruptcy. I know from personal experience. "Oh, I could not put going out to dinner on the credit card this time, but my balance is already pretty high, so I don't even think my monthly payment is going to go up much because of this."

It's forty billion dollars in Federal spending that I would like to see justified by a better RoI than, "Oh, well, they're spending our own money on American manufactured products."

If we're going to spend that money at all, which we shouldn't (deficit) then we could at least spend it on the general betterment of the country. "Oh, this spending is okay, because Israel is taking the aid and buying munitions from American weapons manufacturers." I don't know? Maybe improve the highways, airports or build a bridge? Even though the Federal Government shouldn't be involved in education, maybe increasing education spending by 3.8B nationally (that's 76 million, per state) would perhaps be a better use of the funds than much of the money going to a multi-national corporation with a market cap of 107.93B in a roundabout way.

If they want weapons that are going to be used to destroy buildings (that cost money to build) and kill people, maybe it's not too much to ask that they should go ahead and buy those weapons entirely with their own money. At least until no Interstate highway in this country has any pothole on it anywhere.

1.) It doesn't matter what connections Jewish-Americans have to Israel. If they want to be Israelites, then they should go to Israel and live there. It's perfectly fine to have concern for your culture, family, land that you may have came from---but you're an American before you're anything.

Many Muslim-Americans have connections to Pakistan, I would assume. They should also be Americans first. If they want to be Pakistani, then they should relocate to Pakistan.

If any so situated people want to donate their own money, or if they want to go over there and give their time (or even fight), then that's perfectly fine and is up to them. If they go over and survive, then they should certainly be welcome back.

Anyway, we wouldn't need any allies over there, at this time, if only we would stay out of affairs that should not concern us. What country over there has attacked the United States or any lands rightfully possessed by the United States?

You just make it known that you are basically neutral, but that if any of the countries over there decide to attack us, we will go over there and destroy every building and kill every single person until they unconditionally surrender.

2.) Good, then they can spend their own money that they have with companies, such as Lockheed Martin, to purchase their planes and munitions. I believe that the United States of America has the right, as a country, to decide who they wish to sell munitions and military technologies to and be allies in that sense (which would still be being allied); we just shouldn't be financing them.

I'm not objecting to being allied with them necessarily and I'm not calling for us to allow our companies to sell munitions and military technologies to whoever is asking and has cash---I'm just saying that anyone we sell to should be buying with their own money unless we (The United States) are actually engaged in a war and they are fighting by our sides.

3.) I don't care if Israel becomes secular or not. No dog in the fight. They are over there and we are over here. Anyway, it's fine that you have stated your position on this, but I am not advocating for Israel to become secular. I don't care what they do. If they want to have a stupid state-sponsored religion, then that is their business.

I can respect where you are coming from because you are consistent. You are against all foreign aid. As you know we are very different on this issue.

But, what annoys me is when people are only against foreign aid to Israel. This is a very dishonest position. Especially as, aid to Israel (unlike many other countries) comes right back to America anyway.

You do make a good point about 3.8 billion not being much internationally, but locally, 3.8 billion in any city would basically change it overnight. I guess you can make the argument is that if the government does give aid why not more to local governments (where even a few million for small towns can make a world of difference)?

All of that being said, I like to feel like we make a difference in the world. Helping countries develop is a very noble goal. And, America has a negative stigma by many countries to begin with, so I tend to be unapologetically pro-American.

I really do not have any issues with anything that you said, as you are consistent, I just don't agree (and I doubt we will settle it here if foreign aid is a good thing). I mostly get offended when people want to give foreign aid to all countries except Israel because there is one clear reason for this....

But, your Pakistan example is a good one, because many people do have ties to Pakistan, and we also give them aid (and military support). This is another country that struggles with extremism, so I feel it is justified (I know you disagree, but I am just throwing it out there).
May 23rd, 2021 at 6:22:59 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Ten year old Israeli girl schools John Oliver.

Hamas fired 4,000 toward Israeli citizens. Oliver doesn't believe it is fair that Israeli retaliatory strikes hit their targets.

“While most of the rockets aimed toward Israeli citizens this week were intercepted, Israel’s airstrikes were not. They hit their targets, including a house in a refugee camp, a building housing The Associated Press and Al Jazeera, and 13-story office and apartment building.""

Israel gave a one hour evacuation warning before bombing those Hamas targets.
May 23rd, 2021 at 12:35:04 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Tanko
Ten year old Israeli girl schools John Oliver.

Hamas fired 4,000 toward Israeli citizens. Oliver doesn't believe it is fair that Israeli retaliatory strikes hit their targets.

“While most of the rockets aimed toward Israeli citizens this week were intercepted, Israel’s airstrikes were not. They hit their targets, including a house in a refugee camp, a building housing The Associated Press and Al Jazeera, and 13-story office and apartment building.""

Israel gave a one hour evacuation warning before bombing those Hamas targets.

I agree.

It is also worth noting that Hamas was in the AP/AJ press building. They admitted it in an interview with AJ. This keeps getting glossed over and people are obsessing over the news building being struck. Would Israel really be so self-unaware to bomb a press building for no reason, knowing how this will be spun?
May 24th, 2021 at 5:31:01 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Really simple to me. One ‘country’, Gaza, allows a terrorist group to work freely in its midst, and Hamas uses that freedom to bomb Israel.
Israel retaliates, like ANY country would and SHOULD do.

If you take away the INITIATION of the lethal weapons being used you can then have an argument about whether Israel erred in cutting off the prayer microphones, detaining certain people, evicting others, etc.... But if the response to those alleged transgressions is wanton bombing, then Israel responded APPROPRIATELY.

Expect another suicide bombing soon. Some Palestinian child will have a backpack filled with explosives on a bus, in a restaurant, in a park..... it’s what they do..... and when Israel retaliated by destroying that kid’s families house, expect the usual uproar.....
May 24th, 2021 at 6:41:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
Really simple to me. One ‘country’, Gaza, allows a terrorist group to work freely in its midst, and Hamas uses that freedom to bomb Israel.
Israel retaliates, like ANY country would and SHOULD do.

If you take away the INITIATION of the lethal weapons being used you can then have an argument about whether Israel erred in cutting off the prayer microphones, detaining certain people, evicting others, etc.... But if the response to those alleged transgressions is wanton bombing, then Israel responded APPROPRIATELY.

Expect another suicide bombing soon. Some Palestinian child will have a backpack filled with explosives on a bus, in a restaurant, in a park..... it’s what they do..... and when Israel retaliated by destroying that kid’s families house, expect the usual uproar.....

Still doesn't answer what in the green Hell any of that has to do with us.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 24th, 2021 at 6:08:41 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Michael Goodwin is a writer for the NY Post.

This is his most recent article: Inside the Dems’ betrayal of Israel:

"A defining moment came last Tuesday when Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib, the first Palestinian woman elected to Congress, confronted Biden at the Detroit airport and argued American aid to Israel was funding atrocities against Palestinians."

"The tarmac face-off lasted eight minutes, and Biden later lavished praise on Tlaib’s “passion and concern for so many people.”

"The very next day, Biden flipped sides and demanded Israel de-escalate immediately and move toward a cease-fire."
May 24th, 2021 at 6:30:21 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

"A defining moment came last Tuesday when Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib, the first Palestinian woman elected to Congress, confronted Biden at the Detroit airport and argued American aid to Israel was funding atrocities against Palestinians."

"The tarmac face-off lasted eight minutes, and Biden later lavished praise on Tlaib’s “passion and concern for so many people.”

"The very next day, Biden flipped sides and demanded Israel de-escalate immediately and move toward a cease-fire."

Why should we give money to Israel
The extreme welfare fraud in NY among the Orthodox is not enough.
Why should my tax dollars support a religious state, especially one on the other side of the world.
How about balancing the budget and let Israel pay for itself
How about Israel supporting those lazy orthodox Jews in NY that just pray all day on the taxpayers dime.
I'm shocked conservatives let these people get away with welfare fraud
White privilege. Look the other way?
The abuse is massive
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 24th, 2021 at 7:38:18 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: terapined
Why should we give money to Israel?

Because in propping up Israel we keep the middle east destabilized, and it is to our political advantage to do so.

Were the arabs to unify they'd be a problem; now they're just a nuisance.
May 25th, 2021 at 4:07:23 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: terapined

Why should we give money to Israel
The extreme welfare fraud in NY among the Orthodox is not enough.
Why should my tax dollars support a religious state, especially one on the other side of the world.
How about balancing the budget and let Israel pay for itself
How about Israel supporting those lazy orthodox Jews in NY that just pray all day on the taxpayers dime.
I'm shocked conservatives let these people get away with welfare fraud
White privilege. Look the other way?
The abuse is massive

This is at least the second time that you have posted this. Do you have evidence of welfare fraud by Jews?

I hate the term, but this is borderline antiemetic, because you keep associating Jews in America with Israel (and inferring that they both require "welfare").....

If you just said that all foreign aid should be cut, your argument would have more merit, but accusing one race/religion of abusing welfare is wrong.

The religious tax scenario that offends me, is that Religious organization are tax exempt, but that is for another thread. This costs far more than whatever a few Jewish people in NYC may or may not be doing.

Anyway, as for money to Israel, Israel is a close ally, we give them 3.8 billion a year which they must spend with us. We give 40 billion a year all together. The aid to Israel helps America more than any other foreign aid, because they must spend it with American companies and they are a close ally.