Is Portland over?

September 15th, 2021 at 6:51:13 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Looks like Portland has hired some of the weakest people in law enforcement

"Law enforcement officials have been resigning en masse from their posts amid continued calls to defund the police and other law enforcement agencies.
'

What a bunch of wusses
Some people hold up a Defund the police sign and these wusses are so weak they are resigning
Whats going on
They seeing Defund the police posts on FB and they are traumatized
Cant go on with the job
Should have never been given the job
PDX needs to hire tough people and fire the wusses
If that isn't sick enough...the premiere "intelligence" agency's are protecting pedophiles.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/fbi-apologizes-molested-gymnasts-after-botched-investigation-simone-biles-says-agency

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1438207830901673990?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1438207830901673990%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zerohedge.com%2Fpolitical%2Ffbi-apologizes-molested-gymnasts-after-botched-investigation-simone-biles-says-agency
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 15th, 2021 at 6:56:46 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Looks like Portland has hired some of the weakest people in law enforcement

"Law enforcement officials have been resigning en masse from their posts amid continued calls to defund the police and other law enforcement agencies.
'

What a bunch of wusses
Some people hold up a Defund the police sign and these wusses are so weak they are resigning
Whats going on
They seeing Defund the police posts on FB and they are traumatized
Cant go on with the job
Should have never been given the job
PDX needs to hire tough people and fire the wusses

That is not exactly the case in regards to police resigning, but is also irrelevant to 911 hold times. Police are being attacked all over the country (and, I do not mean physically attacked, though that certainly happens, but demonized by both political parties, and to a large degree the general public). Its easy to dismiss as telling somebody to "suck it up", until you have to work day after day while constantly being told how terrible you are, even if you go out of your way to be perfect and polite in every interaction, and literally every word you say is scrutinized if not by third party filming, by your own body cam (where they will dissect every comment that you make, even to yourself in your car while catching your breathe after an altercation). I honestly don't blame them, you would have to be crazy to want to be a police officer right now, which makes me respect them even more (or some people will argue that the only people who are police officers right now after the labor market and mass resignations are people who have no other options, so it cuts both ways, and both are demoralizing).

However, all of that aside, 911 hold times are in reference to 911 calls to the emergency dispatch center -which is where your call calls when you send a 911 call- (who dispatch police, fire, ems, depending where you are, certain other emergency responders, etc...)

Police departments can be staffed at 150% and have a large reserve, but if the call centers are not managed properly, the wait times will still be insane. And, many people (maybe most, too lazy to look right now) who call 911 need fire or medical, not police. People call 911 because they are desperate to save somebody, not because they saw somebody jaywalk and want them to get a ticket.

Dispatch center wait times, cost lives (often on a per minute basis, even per second if you really break it down). If you have ever been in car accident with serious injuries where people are bleeding out, you don't want to be on hold for 5 minutes just for them to begin answering you call (then add several more minutes or far more if you are in the middle of nowhere to actually reach your location).

911 wait times are a massive problem for safety and security. And, have almost nothing to do with police.
September 16th, 2021 at 6:36:47 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Is Portland over?
Hardly
Checked out the Japanese gardens and the Rose test gardens.
Then parked on 21st. Rode and walked down 21st, came back on 23rd checking out neighborhoods in surrounding area. Thats a huge area I checked out.
Loved it
Nice buzzy section of town with great dining
No issues
No crime
No antifa
Even talked to a few homeless people camped on the street
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 16th, 2021 at 8:22:11 PM permalink
terapined

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 19th, 2021 at 9:51:29 AM permalink
terapined
Having a marvelous time in PDX

September 19th, 2021 at 9:54:03 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO

Of course it is over. You think the Democrat elected officials will do what is necessary to make it into a thriving livable city? Not a chance!

Your post is total BS
Having a wonderful time in Portland
When were you there???????????????
September 19th, 2021 at 9:56:26 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee
Yes, please, do NOT move to Portland.

Nothing to see here.

What planet do you live on???????????
I see a whole lot
September 19th, 2021 at 10:02:12 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: Wizard
I guess I stand corrected. Where is the good part of downtown to look?

Off downtown
Up and down 21 and 23 st
These are long avenues with wonderful stores and restaurants
I loved walking both these streets
September 19th, 2021 at 10:13:40 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee

I avoid them but some folks like Voodoo Donuts.

I saw a huge group of people
Walked over there
It was an insane line for donuts
September 19th, 2021 at 12:50:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I saw a huge group of people
Walked over there
It was an insane line for donuts
Did you ride the BART electric train around downtown? I worked on every piece of that except the cars themselves. Stood the poles, pulled and sagged the wire etc. There are sturgeon running underneath the bridges crossing the Willamette. Loads of history in old Portland. I was born there.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW