Is Portland over?

October 17th, 2021 at 8:18:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Jeff Bezos to his credit actually kind of did just that (not directly more via public outreach and response to campaigns).
He raised his minimum hourly rate to 15/HR, and has been funding organizations to lobby congress to raise the Federal Minimum wage every since (2018ish).

Yes, because he wants his competitors to have to pay higher wages to run them out of business. Do not think he is lobbying because he is generous.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2021 at 8:26:57 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Now you are confusing taxes and wages!

The point is "voting for increased wages" is to give away someone else's money. Like some ditzy trophy wife giving her husband's wealth to charity and feeling good about herself. She didn't do a thing to create that wealth. Same as AOC and her Democrat Party voting to "raise wages" via a minimum wage hike. They are generous as long as it is not their own money.

Conservatives are generous with THEIR money when they donate.

No, unless you think wealthy people like Buffet is saying only rich conservatives should pay more taxes but not himself.

The worst case conservative is like a somewhat better version of Scrooge. He pays Bob Cratchit a poor wage, but at least would give him a Christmas turkey.
Because feeding a family for couple days with Christmas leftovers is way cheaper than than paying Cratchit a decent wage all year.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 17th, 2021 at 8:45:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Anyway, I would define minimum wage laws in reality as a tax. It's not set by the employer but the government. And it involves paying out money to set a public standard.

Sounds like a tax to me.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 17th, 2021 at 9:29:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Anyway, I would define minimum wage laws in reality as a tax. It's not set by the employer but the government. And it involves paying out money to set a public standard.

Sounds like a tax to me.

It goes to a worker not the government.

Sounds like you do not understand the difference between a wage and a tax.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2021 at 9:31:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
No, unless you think wealthy people like Buffet is saying only rich conservatives should pay more taxes but not himself.

If Buffet wants to pay more he can do like Trump and make a gift to the Treasury. Or he can structure his salary to be more taxable. that he does not shows he is just making dopey liberals like him for suggesting higher taxes.

Quote:
The worst case conservative is like a somewhat better version of Scrooge. He pays Bob Cratchit a poor wage, but at least would give him a Christmas turkey.
Because feeding a family for couple days with Christmas leftovers is way cheaper than than paying Cratchit a decent wage all year.

Yet he is still creating a job. More than can be said for most liberals who never create a job yet think they know what a fair wage is.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2021 at 9:47:36 AM permalink
rxwine
It goes to a worker not the government.

Sounds like you do not understand the difference between a wage and a tax.

It's just bypassing the middleman. I don't even see how you can see it otherwise.
October 17th, 2021 at 9:49:13 AM permalink
rxwine
If minimum wage existed without government, than it would be a true wage.
October 17th, 2021 at 10:09:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
If minimum wage existed without government, than it would be a true wage.

It pretty much does. Nobody in my parts pays minimum wage.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2021 at 10:11:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
It's just bypassing the middleman. I don't even see how you can see it otherwise.

Well, then you do not understand the difference between taxes and wages. You seem upset that conservatives give more to charity than liberals. You think of conservatives as mean and greedy when neither is true. You praise people who send men to my house and take my money at the point of a gun and then say THEY helped the poor.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2021 at 10:15:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Well, then you do not understand the difference between taxes and wages. You seem upset that conservatives give more to charity than liberals. You think of conservatives as mean and greedy when neither is true. You praise people who send men to my house and take my money at the point of a gun and then say THEY helped the poor.

Nope you don't understand that a dog is a dog even if someone calls it something else.

And you're the one who said, "Greed is good." The "party of mean" is still accurate.