The Biden Presidency 2022

May 21st, 2022 at 6:29:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: article
House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) sent out a memo on Wednesday urging his members to vote “no” on the bill. He said Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) proposed the legislation “in hopes of covering up the administration’s ineptitude by throwing additional money at the FDA with no plan to actually fix the problem, all while failing to hold the FDA accountable.”

GOP leaders also claimed that some of their proposals to address the scarcity were ignored by Democrats.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3493755-house-passes-bills-to-address-baby-formula-shortage/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 21st, 2022 at 6:39:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
It's important to obscure the fact that the FDA was screwing around with the largest US manufacturer of baby formula, Dems are thinking?

I am speculating that it was the FDA's way of supporting a lawsuit against that company, see below.

Now you might think they'd stop to realize that this recklessness might have consequences. Let's put 2 and 2 together:
*shut down the largest producer of something very important +
*there might be shortages of something very important?

The head of the FDA is an Obama appointee, so it might not be good to be focusing on that, Dems might be thinking.

no opinion on the lawsuit's merit, but I am concluding shutting down the company was not necessary

The dispute revolves around whether cow’s milk-based formula causes a disease called necrotizing enterocolitis in premature, underweight babies, and whether Abbott and Mead & Johnson warned consumers about the alleged dangers.

Plaintiffs in the cases argue that the cow’s milk-based formula caused severe and long-lasting intestinal damage in babies born premature and underweight. Several families say their babies died from the disease, according to the Reuters news service. The plaintiffs cite numerous studies that have found the disease is more likely in premature infants who are fed cow’s milk formula.
May 21st, 2022 at 6:41:09 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: odiousgambit
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3493755-house-passes-bills-to-address-baby-formula-shortage/

The answer should never be just to throw money at the problem. It is reckless spending by the government…all of it…that causes a lot problems. Money allocated should always come with strings.

Pelosi knew what she was doing and knew she pass the bill without doing anything the Republicans asked for…so she did it.

Doesn’t mean a darn thing except to try for a cheap political point. They can fix the things addresses in the bill with other funds and/or pass a bill with proper oversight.

The article even states that there was no plan to be followed…just some money sent there way.
May 21st, 2022 at 7:12:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
The answer should never be just to throw money at the problem. It is reckless spending by the government…all of it…that causes a lot problems. Money allocated should always come with strings.

Pelosi knew what she was doing and knew she pass the bill without doing anything the Republicans asked for…so she did it.

Doesn’t mean a darn thing except to try for a cheap political point. They can fix the things addresses in the bill with other funds and/or pass a bill with proper oversight.

The article even states that there was no plan to be followed…just some money sent there way.

This whole problem makes me scratch my head. This use of microbiology designed formulas surely is a modern convenience. That so many people are depending on specialized formula... well hmm.

I hate to suggest there is some hype going on here without evidence, but babies throw up at a drop of a hat. The idea that a parent may think one formula needs to be used over another because a baby got better. A pediatrician who knows either formula would be safe probably wouldn't stand in the way of a worried parent.

Eh, who knows.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 21st, 2022 at 7:26:39 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
This whole problem makes me scratch my head. This use of microbiology designed formulas surely is a modern convenience. That so many people are depending on specialized formula... well hmm.

I hate to suggest there is some hype going on here without evidence, but babies throw up at a drop of a hat. The idea that a parent may think one formula needs to be used over another because a baby got better. A pediatrician who knows either formula would be safe probably wouldn't stand in the way of a worried parent.

Eh, who knows.

I am sure there are some babies that need a specialized formula but I think you could be right…babies throw up a lot and maybe too many people are trying to solve the problem by changing formulas.

It would be interesting to know how many of those babies would have stopped throwing up as much even if the formula was not changed.

Sometime we try to overcome too many minor issues.

The plant shutdown is a huge problem given the percentage of formula they produce. There is no excuse for it to last this long unless there is actually proof that the problem has not been resolved. Heads should roll for the failure to get the issue fixed. I don’t want bad formula out there but they had one job that everyone involved should have known was very important…and they failed miserably.

The company should fire some people and the President should send a message to his administration by firing someone for allowing this to fester. Perhaps a firing for cause or two would help them do a better job as a whole…
May 21st, 2022 at 7:36:24 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I spent some modest time trying to find news stories about babies getting sick on formula prior to shutdown order. Nothing came up but the lawsuit over premature babies getting sick, some dying... lawsuit might or might not have merit, but it's noticeable the hospitals, who probably can be said to have been the ones to take precautions... well, they aren't the target

of course once you start looking at some outfit, you start finding things they were fudging on, so that seems to have happened. You don't just shut down this kind of factory!
June 8th, 2022 at 2:43:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"President Joe Biden’s approval index has spent about 30 percent of his term below -25, far worse than former President Donald Trump’s, according to polling data. Throughout Trump’s four-year presidency, Trump’s approval index only spent ONE DAY below -25. Biden’s approval index has spent about 30 percent of his term below -25. And Biden has only been in office for just under 1.5 years."

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the absolute worst president in the last 100 years. He's got two and a half years to go. How low can the Poopypants go, he's even losing the support of his own party that's what a disaster he is.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2022 at 11:13:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Evenbob
"President Joe Biden’s approval index has spent about 30 percent of his term below -25, far worse than former President Donald Trump’s, according to polling data. Throughout Trump’s four-year presidency, Trump’s approval index only spent ONE DAY below -25. Biden’s approval index has spent about 30 percent of his term below -25. And Biden has only been in office for just under 1.5 years."

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the absolute worst president in the last 100 years. He's got two and a half years to go. How low can the Poopypants go, he's even losing the support of his own party that's what a disaster he is.

The total lack of response to this post means in just a year-and-a-half we are already at the point where nobody can say Trump was worse than Biden. Because it's obvious to even the most dull-witted among us the Captain Poopypants is the worst president maybe ever. Anybody see him on Jimmy Kimmel? Kimmel was treating him like he was a mental patient or your grandpa who has dementia. Because that's how you treat somebody like Joe Biden.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2022 at 11:44:54 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
The total lack of response to this post means in just a year-and-a-half we are already at the point where nobody can say Trump was worse than Biden.

No, it means no one cares about your posts.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 9th, 2022 at 12:03:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288
No, it means no one cares about your posts.

I’ve seen enough of Trump’s relationship to power, attempting to surround himself with yes men, and willingness to to use a mob for support. Only a lunatic would give that man a second term.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?