The Biden Presidency 2022

June 21st, 2022 at 10:46:27 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: RonC
A Republican takeover of one or both houses of Congress in November seems to be a very real possibility.

Based on recent history, the Republicans will have to do a much better job after winning to make it worth anything by 2024. It isn’t about just talk when you control part or all of Congress. It is about action. Action that may not make it into law due to the Presidential veto but action that large numbers of people are in favor of and is still conservative in nature. Then that action has to be spoken of early and often so that everyone knows it was taken.

Compromise when possible, explain why you can’t when it is not.

Republicans have to get better at getting their message out.

If the Republicans take over Congress they will not have enough to override the filibuster in the Senate, nowhere near enough to override a Presidential veto. They will be able to DO close to nothing, other than whine about the Democrats blocking ‘needed’ legislation. Kind of like what the Democrats are saying about the Republicans now. We shall see what ‘bipartisan’ will come out of the two years of Republican Congress and President Biden. Not much, I’m guessing.
June 21st, 2022 at 11:21:53 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: SOOPOO
If the Republicans take over Congress they will not have enough to override the filibuster in the Senate, nowhere near enough to override a Presidential veto. They will be able to DO close to nothing, other than whine about the Democrats blocking ‘needed’ legislation. Kind of like what the Democrats are saying about the Republicans now. We shall see what ‘bipartisan’ will come out of the two years of Republican Congress and President Biden. Not much, I’m guessing.

“Whining” is exactly what I don’t want them to do. Do anything bipartisan that works and pass whatever you can, even if it gets filibustered or vetoed, and then speak on what it was and why it would be good for the country WITHOUT whining. The don’t communicate well in many situations and they need to fix that.

If both sides are talking about the other side, one gains and one loses based on message and delivery.
June 29th, 2022 at 12:02:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If some of the concerning issues at least start to improve before this November midterms, Democrats can run on, "see, you don't need to put any of these Republicans in office, because either/or 1) it wasn't caused by us 2) some other reason why we aren't to blame.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 30th, 2022 at 5:00:06 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
If some of the concerning issues at least start to improve before this November midterms, Democrats can run on, "see, you don't need to put any of these Republicans in office, because either/or 1) it wasn't caused by us 2) some other reason why we aren't to blame.

Of course that is what they will try. It is of course a lie. But acceptable politics….
July 1st, 2022 at 7:05:19 AM permalink
RonC
Biden says that he can take a dollar off the price of gas by getting rid of the Federal and State taxes.

Not so fast…

The Federal gas tax is $0.184
The highest State gas tax is $0.586

Diesel taxes are higher and a few States may get it to the $1.00 mark…but not many.

I judge this statement to be mostly false.

4 out of 5 Crack Pipes
July 1st, 2022 at 7:19:00 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: RonC
Biden says that he can take a dollar off the price of gas by getting rid of the Federal and State taxes.

Not so fast…

The Federal gas tax is $0.184
The highest State gas tax is $0.586

Diesel taxes are higher and a few States may get it to the $1.00 mark…but not many.

I judge this statement to be mostly false.

4 out of 5 Crack Pipes

I have not heard him say a dollar, I have heard him say he wants a Federal tax holiday and is encouraging States to do the same.

I don't understand why the right is so worked up about this, isn't lower taxes normally their thing?

Not that the Federal tax is anything to begin with (if anything its probably far too low generally speaking, especially compared to Europe).
July 1st, 2022 at 7:23:55 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: Gandler
I have not heard him say a dollar, I have heard him say he wants a Federal tax holiday and is encouraging States to do the same.

I don't understand why the right is so worked up about this, isn't lower taxes normally their thing?

Not that the Federal tax is anything to begin with (if anything its probably far too low generally speaking, especially compared to Europe).

Lower taxes are generally a good thing but this money funds highways and they do need the funding. We can’t have “no taxes” and will have to address how to make up this revenue or have our roads deteriorate further. This is also true of how we will tax for those purposes when a larger percentage of the population switches to electric vehicles. Other than weight and size, roads don’t care much how you are powered…

It is funny how people say that others are “all worked up about” things as if no one should be worked up about anything.

I am not all that worked up about it…but he is a liar.

There is another concern about gas prices being lowered since supply is barely meeting demand…that the demand might go up as prices get lower. I am not personally “hurt” by the gas tax because it cuts into the extra money, not the budget…but I do think at least a little about trips and how errands can be combined. I probably should have done that all the time to save some and lower my pollution contribution…
July 1st, 2022 at 9:14:10 AM permalink
RonC
“Clean energy future”
“incredible transition”
“The future of liberal world order is at stake”
“Pay high prices for gas doe as long as it takes”

Perhaps not exact quotes, but snippets of basically what people from the administration are saying…

Can Liberals continue to deny that they are putting in policies that we cannot support (not ready for all electric vehicles yet…) or pay for (high prices for the middle class and lower take money away from them at higher rates than pay increases; why do Dems profess love for these people while hating them?)?

Clean energy is good. Make it work without destroying the economy or families with the path there.

This is a President without vision and a plan other than to try to keep the far left happy.

Oh, right, I am supposed to spend all my time worried and SCOTUS and 1/6. Don’t worry about everything else going on…
July 3rd, 2022 at 11:22:50 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
CBS News is reporting that in 2012 election 59 precincts in Philadelphia recorded not a single vote cast for Mitt Romney. This would be a statistical impossibility in just one Precinct. In 59 precincts it's obvious to anybody that has two brain cells that the presidential election in that city was rigged. Yet we are supposed to believe that the most controversial election of our time in 2020 was completely honest and was not stolen. Google it if you don't believe me, 59 Precincts and not a single Romney vote. Of course we didn't hear about it because the election wasn't even close so nobody did a deep dive into the stats.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 3rd, 2022 at 11:41:48 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
Yet we are supposed to believe that the most controversial election of our time in 2020….

Are we expected to pretend 2004 never happened?