Ukraine conflict

May 12th, 2022 at 10:36:43 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Sure, political commissars made such threats but they couldn't be everywhere at once; from what I've read the typical Russian soldier fought pretty valiantly for his / her homeland (whatever the impetus), just as the Ukrainians are doing today.
May 12th, 2022 at 10:46:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Sure, political commissars made such threats but they couldn't be everywhere at once; from what I've read the typical Russian soldier fought pretty valiantly for his / her homeland (whatever the impetus), just as the Ukrainians are doing today.

From what I read and saw they were forced to do things like march arm in arm to clear minefields. Rifles at their backs.
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2022 at 10:56:36 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
From what I read and saw they were forced to do things like march arm in arm to clear minefields. Rifles at their backs.

Some, for sure, but that was not the norm.

They were poorly trained cannon fodder but at the end of the day they did fight, and won, fueled by a thirst for vodka and vengeance.
May 12th, 2022 at 4:38:19 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Wars are definitely changing. I was surprised to read today that Russia only has one active aircraft carrier. I found that shocking.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 12th, 2022 at 4:38:19 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Wars are definitely changing. I was surprised to read today that Russia only has one active aircraft carrier. I found that shocking.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 12th, 2022 at 5:13:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich

Russia has never been a big naval power. Only 2 or so usable ports, one of which is easy to block.
The President is a fink.
May 13th, 2022 at 1:59:48 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/rand-paul-delays-vote-40-billion-ukraine-package-calls-spending-oversight

"“My oath of office is to the U.S. Constitution, not to any foreign nation, and no matter how sympathetic the cause, my oath of office is to the national security of the United States of America,” Paul said on the floor on Thursday."
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 13th, 2022 at 2:41:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/rand-paul-delays-vote-40-billion-ukraine-package-calls-spending-oversight

"“My oath of office is to the U.S. Constitution, not to any foreign nation, and no matter how sympathetic the cause, my oath of office is to the national security of the United States of America,” Paul said on the floor on Thursday."

Good for him. We need to see what pork is in the bill hiding as "aid."
The President is a fink.
May 13th, 2022 at 2:45:15 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph

What a bunch of BS
This is for our national security
Defending freedom helps our national security
He's a total ahole grandstanding
He works for the people of Kentucky, not the constitution
If the people of KY support the aid, then he should.
No doubt he doesn't even want the USA in NATO
No doubt Putin, now seen by the planet as evil, loves Rand
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 14th, 2022 at 5:54:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Russia cuts off electricity in Finland.

Quote:
Electrical services, which account for 10% of the country’s total consumption, were discontinued "for the time being" at 1 a.m. local time, Finnish grid operator Fingrid said, according to the report.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-cuts-off-electricity-to-finland-amid-growing-international-tensions/ar-AAXfRYV?ocid=undefined&cvid=77c20719b6ee405d91d94b989ccb1b3e
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?