2 votes (15.38%)
2 votes (15.38%)
No votes (0%)

13 members have voted

March 12th, 2024 at 6:59:41 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: GenoDRPh
You make it sound like any one who ends up crossing over gets welcomed with a glass of warm milk, cookies and a green card.

Depends upon the city. No green cards yet, but NYC is currently housing migrants in more than 16,000 hotel rooms at $300-$400 per night. Single adults are only given shelter for the first thirty days they are in the city.

'Migrants will ‘never leave NYC’s care’: Critics fear as lefty pols renew push for unlimited shelter stays'

They also receive free medical and unlimited food while in the system.

'NYC migrant contractor tossing out thousands of uneaten taxpayer-funded meals a day'

'...more than 70,000 being “wasted” between October 22 and November 22'

Between shelter, food, medical and other services, 'NYC’s daily per-person cost to house migrants climbs to nearly $400'

The cost is unsustainable. NYC now has more than 200,0000 illegals and climbing 10,000 per month. At some point, the city is going to have to cut services and lay off city workers.
March 12th, 2024 at 8:14:01 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Looks like RFK is trying to decide between Aaron Rodgers and Jesse Ventura as his VP running mate.

"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life on earth."
March 13th, 2024 at 3:24:16 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: missedhervee
Looks like RFK is trying to decide between Aaron Rodgers and Jesse Ventura as his VP running mate.

Dig me up when sanity returns to US politics, cos I'll be long dead and buried.
March 13th, 2024 at 4:25:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The last I ever tuned in to Ventura, I liked what he had to say. I assume he wound up screwing the pooch in some way, as his star seems to have waned quite a bit ... the reaction to this news, for example, seems uniformly from dismayed people. I've decided to not look up the reasons for this
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 13th, 2024 at 6:19:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee

Even though RFK is not on very many ballots, it apparently is already likely he is going to be on the ballot in some of those all important electoral states, And he currently is polling at 15%. That could be enough to affect the race of either Biden or Trump. He is slighly more favorable on the right, but that means he could still pick up votes from either side and the middle.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 13th, 2024 at 6:35:58 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Even though RFK is not on very many ballots, it apparently is already likely he is going to be on the ballot in some of those all important electoral states, And he currently is polling at 15%. That could be enough to affect the race of either Biden or Trump. He is slighly more favorable on the right, but that means he could still pick up votes from either side and the middle.

If RFK somehow got a few electoral votes could he vote them as he wished and become King maker? I don't know your rules good enough to answer that myself.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 13th, 2024 at 6:51:37 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: kenarman
If RFK somehow got a few electoral votes could he vote them as he wished and become King maker? I don't know your rules good enough to answer that myself.

Every state has a law requiring electors to vote for the candidate they are pledged to. IF RFK Jr receives 1 or more electors, those electors are required to vote for him when the electors meet.
March 13th, 2024 at 7:52:24 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman

Google ‘faithless electors’. Not exactly the same but there are examples of electors not voting for the candidate they should vote for.

It is inconceivable to me that Kennedy would get any electors. He certainly can affect the election by just running. I’ve seen well written arguments on how Kennedy running secures the election for Trump. And other ones that say him running secures the election for Biden.

My guess is him running would help Trump.
March 14th, 2024 at 5:21:51 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: GenoDRPh
Every state has a law requiring electors to vote for the candidate they are pledged to. IF RFK Jr receives 1 or more electors, those electors are required to vote for him when the electors meet.

"All States, except for Maine and Nebraska, have a winner-take-all policy where the State looks only at the overall winner of the state-wide popular vote."

(https://www.archives.gov/electoral-college/allocation)

Unless he gains enough votes in one of those two states, he has little to no chance of getting any at all. Getting the electors anywhere else would require an outright win over both Biden and Trump (or anyone else) in a state.

I guess he could get a vote from a "faithless elector" but I also doubt that will happen.

He will likely be a spoiler in swing states if he has any impact at all.
March 14th, 2024 at 9:07:25 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: RonC
"All States, except for Maine and Nebraska, have a winner-take-all policy where the State looks only at the overall winner of the state-wide popular vote."

(https://www.archives.gov/electoral-college/allocation)

Unless he gains enough votes in one of those two states, he has little to no chance of getting any at all. Getting the electors anywhere else would require an outright win over both Biden and Trump (or anyone else) in a state.

I guess he could get a vote from a "faithless elector" but I also doubt that will happen.

He will likely be a spoiler in swing states if he has any impact at all.

SCOTUS made faithless electors illegal in 2020. Rather, they upheld state laws making faithless electors illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiafalo_v._Washington#State_law