Random Thought of the Day

February 9th, 2021 at 12:47:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
Was at Wegman's yesterday. Dishwasher detergent, a nice 75 ounce box, was on sale for $1. .

You're life at 60 as a retiree
is so exciting. Just wait till
you're 70. A Tide commercial
on TV will have you texting
all your friends.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2021 at 1:02:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I almost never see commercials even on live TV, because I'm always pausing the DVR. I watch the programs usually with enough time delays built up, I can fast forward through them. I had to go out of my usual pattern to watch some Super bowl commercials. Most weren't worth it though.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 9th, 2021 at 2:19:45 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I was on the committee that came up with the new acronym BIPOC ... in the news Comcast and others are going to hire BIPOCs they say. I wanted to use BICP, sounds out as 'Bicep', but I got shot down.

Black, Indigenous, and Colored People
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 21st, 2021 at 12:44:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Hmm, Shrek and/or... Yabadabado Baby is either out spending his new found lottery winnings, or got broadsided by a bus. That's my guess. What else could keep him from this delightful site posting nuggets of wisdom.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 21st, 2021 at 4:35:44 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: odiousgambit
I was on the committee that came up with the new acronym BIPOC ...
of course I was not , but noticing now we are not hearing much more about BIPOC ... except they have a website. BTW I noticed the San Francisco school board, wanting to change the names of schools named after Lincoln etc, cited indigenous people grievances more commonly than Af/Am grievances.

https://www.thebipocproject.org/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 22nd, 2021 at 12:52:29 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Seems the finer the dining, the smaller the coke I get.
Eating at a restaurant Puesto Mexican Artisan kitchen in La jolla, table in the street
Best shrimp tacos I have ever had.
The coke is very small. Less coke then McDonald's small
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 22nd, 2021 at 1:07:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: terapined
Seems the finer the dining, the smaller the coke I get.
Eating at a restaurant Puesto Mexican Artisan kitchen in La jolla, table in the street
Best shrimp tacos I have ever had.
The coke is very small. Less coke then McDonald's small

Back in the day, there weren’t jumbo options. KFC is no longer the only thing offered by the bucket.
February 23rd, 2021 at 3:09:30 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
The term "homeless people" became fashionable in the mid 80s. Before that they were called bums, vagrants, street people, hobos or other dehumanizing terms. Have you noticed that "homeless people" is now out. The PC media now calls them "people experiencing homelessness". Maybe it's more empathetic, but it's mouthful.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 23rd, 2021 at 3:32:55 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
The term "homeless people" became fashionable in the mid 80s. Before that they were called bums, vagrants, street people, hobos or other dehumanizing terms. Have you noticed that "homeless people" is now out. The PC media now calls them "people experiencing homelessness". Maybe it's more empathetic, but it's mouthful.

I prefer Fern's explanation in Nomadland
I'm not homeless, just houseless

Interesting story from nomadland. There are many real nomads in the film telling their stories. Many did not know that Frances Mcdormand was an actor.
Bob Wells, a real nomad, went up to Frances to console her on losing her husband after he heard the story

Afterward, "he said to me privately that it meant a lot for me to tell him that story and that everything was going to be OK," McDormand says. "And I said, 'Bob, I just want you to know that my husband's name is Joel, he's alive and well, he makes movies, and I'm going home to him after this.' Bob was like, 'Oh. How did you do that? I really believed you.' And I said, 'That's my job, Bob! That's what I do for a living! Isn't that weird?'
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 23rd, 2021 at 6:12:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: JimRockford
The term "homeless people" became fashionable in the mid 80s. Before that they were called bums, vagrants, street people,

Yup. Never used 'homeless' when I
had the bar, nobody did. We called
them street people or useless bums.
The ones I knew totally wanted
to be homeless, they loved it. Free
food, drugs and booze. Sleep till
noon, never work. I have a hard
time believing the majority of
them are any different today.
Mostly whites, some blacks, never
saw a Latino bum. They aren't
wired that way.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.