Random Thought of the Day

August 12th, 2021 at 4:06:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
Nice to see St. Judes and Shriner's children both have high charity ratings. However ASPCA got dinged recently in a special report. They're the one's showing all the abused animals. They did say local spca's are not affiliated with the larger organization so if you give directly to them, chances are it will be better used.
ASPCA , the A is for American, are either brilliant opportunists or evil exploiters, depending on how you want to look at it. They are totally New York City based only and none of the money you would give them goes to "America" generally. Your local SPCA doesn't get a cent. However, they discovered that people think the complete opposite, that it is the national headquarters of SPCA and the money goes all over the country. So they advertise nationally to exploit this and get rich doing it. The word should really get out about this.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 16th, 2021 at 2:27:47 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://summit.news/2021/08/13/lockdown-created-1-million-new-alcoholics-in-england/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 18th, 2021 at 3:52:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I finally saw one bee on the flowers outside. I was starting to wonder if I was going to see any.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 19th, 2021 at 9:42:48 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
I have been taking only cold showers for a couple of months. I started after I read an article somewhere about the health benefits of regular exposure to cold temperatures. After looking into it a little more, I have concluded that the data supporting the health benefits is pretty thin, but I stayed with the cold showers because they make me feel great after I get out. They give me that relaxed unstressed feeling that you get from a good workout and it lasts most of the day. I just run the water all the way cold.

Now the cold tap water in Austin is not as cold as some parts of the country. It is about 76 F, but that is enough below body temperature that it's still a shock to step into. After about two minutes, it doesn't feel too bad. I don't know if I can stick with it when winter comes. We'll see.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 19th, 2021 at 10:21:57 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: JimRockford
I have concluded that the data supporting the health benefits is pretty thin, but I stayed with the cold showers because they make me feel great after I get out.

Sounds like my friend who said his girlfriend told him she used to walk on her dad's back. When he tried it, he was wincing in pain, he said, "Your dad actually liked this??!!

"He liked it when I finally got off."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 19th, 2021 at 10:27:46 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: rxwine
I finally saw one bee on the flowers outside. I was starting to wonder if I was going to see any.

That's a sad and scary thought: the seeming collapse of bees as pollinators.

If they all die off we're screwed.
August 19th, 2021 at 10:46:36 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: JimRockford
I have been taking only cold showers for a couple of months. I started after I read an article somewhere about the health benefits of regular exposure to cold temperatures. After looking into it a little more, I have concluded that the data supporting the health benefits is pretty thin, but I stayed with the cold showers because they make me feel great after I get out. They give me that relaxed unstressed feeling that you get from a good workout and it lasts most of the day. I just run the water all the way cold.

Now the cold tap water in Austin is not as cold as some parts of the country. It is about 76 F, but that is enough below body temperature that it's still a shock to step into. After about two minutes, it doesn't feel too bad. I don't know if I can stick with it when winter comes. We'll see.

That is the summer temperature of most of the popular resort swimming lakes in Canada, many are colder. In the winter they cool down.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 19th, 2021 at 10:51:24 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: kenarman
That is the summer temperature of most of the popular resort swimming lakes in Canada, many are colder. In the winter they cool down.

Not just Canada

"The swimming season in Long Beach, Ca lasts from July to October. During those months, Long Beach water temperature does not drop below 68°F and therefore suitable for comfortable swimming."
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 19th, 2021 at 12:51:39 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: kenarman
Not just Canada

"The swimming season in Long Beach, Ca lasts from July to October. During those months, Long Beach water temperature does not drop below 68°F and therefore suitable for comfortable swimming."

I’m not a polar bear club candidate by any means. 76 F is a cold shock for me. We have a local spring fed pool in Austin that is about 70F. It takes all the discipline I can muster to jump in.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 19th, 2021 at 1:02:13 PM permalink
rxwine
I remember this

Quote:
HENDERSON, Nev. — Chelsea Ake-Salvacion felt she was on health care’s cutting edge, working at a cryotherapy center in this Las Vegas suburb that promised to help clients burn calories, reduce pain, strengthen immune systems and halt aging by embedding them in freezing tanks for a few minutes at a time.

In her off hours, she engaged in the practice, and dreamed of opening her own cryotherapy center once she had learned the ropes.

But last week, Ms. Ake-Salvacion, 24, was found dead in one of the tanks, discovered by her colleague and friend Elise Iverson. After working an evening shift on Oct. 19 at the Rejuvenice spa here, which offers two forms of deep-freeze therapy, in tanks that can reach temperatures of minus 240 degrees Fahrenheit, she had stayed to give herself a cryotherapy session. She was found the next day.

A local coroner’s office said the cause of death had not yet been determined. But Ms. Ake-Salvacion’s uncle said the coroner had told him his niece’s body was found “rock-hard solid.”