Random Thought of the Day

August 20th, 2021 at 9:46:35 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: kenarman
Not just Canada

"The swimming season in Long Beach, Ca lasts from July to October. During those months, Long Beach water temperature does not drop below 68°F and therefore suitable for comfortable swimming."

Comfortable is a very relative term. My wife will not get in our pool if it is below 84. She prefers 87 degrees.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 20th, 2021 at 9:53:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: JimRockford
I have been taking only cold showers for a couple of months. .

At least you are bathing. The new fad among Hollywood Elite like Brad Pitt and Ashton Kutcher and Jake Gyllenhaal and many others is they have stopped bathing essentially. They wash their crotch everyday and their armpits and that's about it. If they get dirty with real dirt they might take a shower but mostly they go days and days and even weeks without showering. They say it's better for their skin. Look it up this is not a joke.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 20th, 2021 at 8:18:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
The Stanley Motor Carriage Company was an American manufacturer of steam cars; it operated from 1902 to 1924. The cars made by the company were colloquially called Stanley Steamers, although several different models were produced.

And I thought they were just carpet cleaners.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 28th, 2021 at 8:50:45 AM permalink
rxwine
I've learned my lesson.

I already once mentioned the traffic jam from Hell I was in.
http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/401/234/#post111349

But the other night I took off on the same 1 1/2 hour route I've driven several times already. Never again without using a driving route app. Even google map routes offer avoid delays or road closures. Was stuck for 2 hours.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 28th, 2021 at 12:24:31 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
The traffic situation in Portland is horrible this summer, with things having opened up a bit.

Not only interstate, but local traffic is way up from what it was last year.

I feel like my uncle must have felt sixty years ago: he was commuting to his job in NYC from central NJ and got caught in a monster traffic jam, lasted for hours in brutal summer heat.

He decided he'd had enough, and wanted to move to a new area where traffic wasn't as bad.

So he moved ... to LA (Marina del Rey, actually).
September 6th, 2021 at 6:03:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Didn't rules about not discussing gambling on this
forum lighten up awhile back and we can now do it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 6th, 2021 at 6:46:34 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I wonder if I can park for free
Parking garage automated
Punch in your car lisc into machine
WA has plates front and back
I'm FL, just rear plates
I back in to park
Hard to check plates
Probably honor system anyway
I paid
I watch parking wars
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 9th, 2021 at 1:20:11 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Not exactly random, but the Week 1 Lines are up for the WoV NFL Picks Game:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/36195-2021-wov-picks-game-discussion-thread/6/#post822675

So, please check out the Official Rules thread and PM me your Picks if you want to play. I know some people read here more than there, so I figured I would mention it here.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 10th, 2021 at 12:19:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Maybe about 20 years ago, I was reading this book looking at murders in Houston, Texas in detail. All shootings. Although the author didn't note this as a stat, after I finished the book, I was impressed with how many people who got killed dared the person holding the gun to go ahead and shoot them.

A lot of these murders had interpersonal details; in fact it may have not have had random robber shootings at all as I don't remember any. Most of the cases seemed to have ongoing aggravation between the shooter and the victim.

So, that was the lesson I learned. Be careful about pushing the person's button once they have a gun on you. Unless you have a death wish.
September 10th, 2021 at 12:47:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
ow many people who got killed dared the person holding the gun to go ahead and shoot them.

You see that on TV and in the movies all the time where a person will say you don't have the guts to shoot me, you don't have the guts to pull the trigger. Go ahead and shoot me. And it usually works, the person with the gun doesn't shoot. In the times when they do shoot we're very surprised. Maybe the people who dare somebody else to shoot them have seen too many movies.