Random Thought of the Day

November 16th, 2021 at 6:54:34 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Got ar frozen turkey today at Walmart because the week before Thanksgiving is the best time to get your turkey, the prices are always more the week of Thanksgiving. It was $0.89 a pound the same as it's been for years. I'm going to hack it up once it's thawed and cook a turkey breast in the pressure cooker. Green bean casserole and homemade stuffing and I'll be set to go for Thanksgiving. You'll all get to see it here in the food thread, lucky you. My cats love Thanksgiving because they'll be the beneficiaries of 80% of this turkey. Years ago I cooked a 20lb turkey and completely strip all the edible meat off of it in a weighed about 10 lb. So if you pay $0.90 a pound you're really paying $1.80 a pound.

When I was single I would cook a large turkey every year just for myself. I would cook a 25lb or larger and eat it for weeks. Once I stripped the majority of the meat off the carcass I would put the carcass on the floor for the cats. They would go crazy. They would actually crawl inside the carcass and eat from the inside. Following that they would get their annual bath.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 17th, 2021 at 2:05:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Just noticed Pacomartin has not been here in 17 days.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 17th, 2021 at 2:10:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: rxwine
Just noticed Pacomartin has not been here in 17 days.

Also noticed Dalex hasn't posted in a long time, but he's still hanging around.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 17th, 2021 at 7:32:29 PM permalink
rxwine
FrGamble came by today, but it had been awhile. I hope he wasn't disappointed I didn't mention him, but it's been Evenbob's job to ask "Where's FrGamble?"
November 17th, 2021 at 7:56:22 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I wonder how covid has treated his parish?
November 24th, 2021 at 3:49:23 PM permalink
rxwine
That's a cool title.

Nasa has a position called,"Planetary Defense Officer"
November 24th, 2021 at 4:20:19 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
That reminds me, I wonder how our "Space Force" is coming along?

Gotta watch out for those pesky tribbles.
December 3rd, 2021 at 2:40:12 PM permalink
rxwine
In answer to the question, "Why did lawyers wear wigs?" I found two answers. 1. To give justice a certain seriousness in a official uniform of robes and wigs. 2. To help disguise the lawyers from being recognized by some displeased public.

Probably both true, but I favor the second.
December 4th, 2021 at 3:45:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
In answer to the question, "Why did lawyers wear wigs?" I found two answers. 1. To give justice a certain seriousness in a official uniform of robes and wigs. 2. To help disguise the lawyers from being recognized by some displeased public.

Probably both true, but I favor the second.
Wow, I am amazed how hard it is to find much about this on the internet. I am pretty sure the correct answer is just the persistence in British courts of what was considered proper style for men of rank at one time. Internet articles are sure to bring out the syphilis thing, which is about wearing wigs to hide the effect the disease had on the hair and head evidently. This problem was rampaging through society it seems. If you were just balding normally, that was still suspect, at least not so healthy looking, and a wig seemed like a good idea.

French royalty wore wigs starting with Louis the 14th, a balding problem there too. Soon wigs came to Britain as fashion. Powdering the wig may have come from the necessity to control odor and bugs, it seems, but that became a style too.

Courts become heavy on keeping tradition due to the necessity of maintaining gravitas. In court, still today, 'all rise' when the robed judge comes in and he sits on a stage high above everybody else. He is still addressed as 'Your Honor'. All kinds of decorum rules are in place for when you speak, when you stand. You have to control yourself and not make the slightest scene. I could go on. So, I think the wig thing was just something else that was bound to hang on, and I guess that means I agree with #1 RXwine posted, but with explanation. See links.

https://www.historynet.com/shaved-heads-and-syphilis-a-brief-history-of-wigs.htm
https://www.battlefields.org/learn/head-tilting-history/rise-and-fall-powdered-wig
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 15th, 2021 at 1:06:57 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25