Cooking thread

October 28th, 2016 at 5:29:19 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'm on dog sitting duty so I get a refrigerator to raid and a range top stove to use.

Took about six slices of butter in a frying pan, a dozen eggs, salt, pepper, package of thick cut provolone circles and about six slices of American Cheese. Wonderful. None of it stuck to the pan and so far its lasted three days. Reheated in microwave. Good stuff.
October 31st, 2016 at 2:04:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
500 gr. ground beef
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 small ginger root, peeled and minced
1 small onion sliced thinly
1 small bell pepper, chopped
4-5 small mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can cream of tomato
1/2 cup milk
Pepper to taste
A pinch of oregano.
~200 grams cooked pasta
1/2 cup grated parmesan.

Preheat oven to 180 C

Cook the hell out of the bell pepper and onion, until they're soft. Remove and set aside. Cook the mushrooms until they are brown and begin to shrink. Remove and set aside. Cook the beef until it's brown, add the garlic and ginger about half way. Remove and set aside

While this goes on, cook the pasta to taste.

In a bowl mix the canned soups and milk. Add pepper and oregano. Then mixed everything else but the parmesan in (the pasta, too). Put in an oven safe dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top, and stick in the oven fro 30-40 minutes, make sure the cheese melts.

I adapted this from a recipe online. I think it could do with a heartier dose of cheese.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 11th, 2016 at 3:18:10 PM permalink
Nareed
I've some cabbage I can still use, but I made citrus cabbage last week...

So I'm thinking of the following:

Baked chicken breast in strips, possibly breaded
Creamy tomato sauce (tomato blended puree with cottage cheese)
Stir-dried cabbage with carrots and onions
Pasta
Manchego cheese

Possibly stir it all together, topped with cheese, and on to the oven for broiling.

On the other hand, I found adding chipotle mayonnaise to scrambled eggs does wonders for them far beyond the abilities of cheese, or words to that effect.

Though I'm left with the crime against nature, of sorts, that mayo is essentially egg yolk and vegetable oil...
November 11th, 2016 at 4:23:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Nareed
Though I'm left with the crime against nature, of sorts, that mayo is essentially egg yolk and vegetable oil...
There is nothing better than eggs and I see no need to focus on the yolk rather the albumin, but yolks are pretty wonderful things.
November 19th, 2016 at 9:14:33 AM permalink
Fleastiff
In my quest for liquids, rather than food, to lose weight, I've come across coconut water and coconut milk.
What is coconut milk? It doesn't seem to exist in nature, at least not when the naked woman breaks open the coconut on these Naked/Afraid shows.
At room temperature it is unpleasant, but chilled I found it quite platable though I had to add some cherry fizz stuff for flavoring.
November 28th, 2016 at 8:40:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Yesterday it seems the blender was out to get me.

First, it refused to turn the blades. I guess too much cottage cheese and garlic on the bottom was too much. Eventually it engaged and liquefied the mixture. But when I removed the lid two seconds after I'd stopped the motor, a bit erupted and landed squarely on my phone. Next as I took out the jar, it was leaking from the bottom. The rubber seal broke for some reason.

Anyway, here's what I made:

4 chicken milanesas, breaded and baked and cut into pieces, placed over a bed of noodles, with potato slices on top, covered with yogurt/cottage cheese/garlic/paprika/pepper mixture, topped with chorizo and browned Manchego cheese.

Yum!
November 28th, 2016 at 9:17:51 AM permalink
Nareed
I'd really like to try roast chicken sometime soon.

I'm divided on whether to get a whole chicken, or to get chicken pieces instead. I don't relish the prospect of surgically dismembering the chicken after it comes out of the oven.
November 30th, 2016 at 7:43:24 PM permalink
Nareed
I had two thoughts today:

1) Peanut butter dip

2) What can one do with beets? (and are they hard to peel?)
November 30th, 2016 at 9:25:55 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Nareed
I had two thoughts today:
1) Peanut butter dip
2) What can one do with beets? (and are they hard to peel?)

Dips are unsanitary.

Beets: For cold mornings: a small saugage or two small beets and rice ....keeps you fit for shoveling snow, but I guesses in Mexico City you don't get much of that.
A beet or a sweet potato in Lentils; gives the soup some flavor and body.
Beet Juice.... Good for what ails you when your liver won't let you drink any more of whats best for what ails you.
December 1st, 2016 at 5:20:20 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Roast the beats with or without skin. A little butter and salt and pepper delicious. Borscht (beet soup, recipes online) is really good. From the basic broth and grated beets with a dollop of sour cream on top to multiple ingredient vegetable and meat borscht.