Original Sin?

February 14th, 2017 at 1:13:36 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
I feel like I'm trying to have a rational conversation with someone who adamantly thinks I'm denying the Bowling Green Massacre.

It's not quite that bad.

See, suppose I told you there was a miracle drug that could turn dark skin white. Now suppose I tell you we could administer it to everyone in the world (it doesn't affect white-skinned people), and thus make everyone white, which for some reason I see as desirable (I do not in reality).

How would you react?

Perhaps as badly as a Jew would on hearing a Christian say he wished all Jews would convert to Christianity.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 14th, 2017 at 1:15:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Right away you should realize that your source is not a good one.

I'd rather have the story of the perpetrators,
the Church, and their side, as doctored
by them, in lily white innocence..

Imagine the story the Nazi's would have
written had they survived the war. There
was no Holocaust, it was invented by the Allies.

There are hundreds of sources for the persecution
of the Jews in the Inquisitions, but because we've
been over this subject half a dozen times, I'm
not doing it again. Just keep spooning in the pablum
the Vatican feeds you, who cares.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 14th, 2017 at 3:45:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
It's not quite that bad.

See, suppose I told you there was a miracle drug that could turn dark skin white. Now suppose I tell you we could administer it to everyone in the world (it doesn't affect white-skinned people), and thus make everyone white, which for some reason I see as desirable (I do not in reality).

How would you react?

Perhaps as badly as a Jew would on hearing a Christian say he wished all Jews would convert to Christianity.

I know that no analogy is perfect of course but the big difference here is that being white or black or any other color does not make one right, wrong, or more true. I think a Jewish person might think that both the Christian and I can't be right, one of us is wrong. I hope it is him who is wrong but I don't begrudge him thinking he is right either. The key is to remember that we can't both be right and to present to each other and to ourselves the best reasons we have to give a reason why we think we are right without condemning anyone.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 14th, 2017 at 3:48:17 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
who cares.

This is so maddening, I care!!! So should you and everyone else! Why would you possibly not care about what really happened at the Inquistion? I have a hint for you, neither of us are going to be totally correct, but you are far more off base. This is not some theological definition of sin that you disagree with, this is history and it has evidence that both of us should be able to agree to. Don't you dare give up and think this isn't important. Don't you want to know the truth? I sure as heck do.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 14th, 2017 at 4:32:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
This is so maddening, I care!!! So should you and everyone else! Why would you possibly not care about what really happened at the Inquistion.

So now I go and dig up half a dozen
good links, and you proclaim them
all garbage, how could I possibly find
so much wrong information.

Sound familiar? By now it's not too
difficult to see who is spewing the false
facts. It's the organization who did
the torturing, the burning, and the
illegal confiscation of property.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 14th, 2017 at 6:02:33 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
So now I go and dig up half a dozen
good links, and you proclaim them
all garbage, how could I possibly find
so much wrong information.

It's easy to find lots of wrong information on the internet. How about we start at a place most people can agree on gives decent information, Wikipedia:
Inquistion

Give it a read and you can tell me if you disagree with any of their information or sources.
February 14th, 2017 at 7:39:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
It's easy to find lots of wrong information on the internet. How about we start at a place most people can agree on gives decent information, Wikipedia:
Inquistion

Are you aware that Wiki entry is heavily
monitored by the Church? Try changing
or correcting an entry and see how long
it lasts. You do know Wiki is written by
contributors, right? Those with the most
to lose on a subject often influence it
the most. The Inquisition entry says
just what the Church wants it to say.

The rabid editing of the Scientology entry
on Wiki got so bad a few years ago that
all official Scientology sites are banned
from editing anything. That doesn't stop
them from editing with faux sites, where
they hide in the shadows.

I was privy to inside info on a TV show
a few years ago and constantly tried to
add it to the shows Wiki page. It never
lasted longer than a few days. Wiki is
a good site as long as the topic isn't
too controversial.
February 14th, 2017 at 7:44:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
They do have sources though that are usually linked to its information. If you find something you disagree with or didn't know look at the footnotes to see where that information is obtained. You can use these sources to go deeper into something that challenges you or you don't understand. I just offer it as a starting point. Where do you get your information?
February 14th, 2017 at 7:56:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
Here is another interesting entry from Wikipedia that should give us both food for thought:
Historical Revision of the Inquisition
February 14th, 2017 at 9:02:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Here is another interesting entry from Wikipedia that should give us both food for thought:
Historical Revision of the Inquisition

Another Wiki piece, no thanks. Too whitewashed.

Here's a real long one you'll never read because
it has actual quotes from the notes of the
Spanish Inquisitors, who kept impeccable
records. To find the truth about anything you
have to investigate your sources first. For
you the Church is the only source you trust.
Pity that..

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vatican/esp_vatican29.htm