Original Sin?

January 4th, 2019 at 1:33:19 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Where it says in the 10 suggestions, you shall
worship no other god but me, to paraphrase.
There's something wrong here. What other
gods is he talking about, if he's the only god?

There are no other gods to worship, why is he
so worried. The problem is, it's Moses who
said this and not some god.
He should have slipped it in there about #7.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 4th, 2019 at 3:56:20 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
There are no other gods with a capital G. However, in Moses day as well as today there are plenty of pretend and false gods. Power, celebrity, greed, and the god that so many worship - ourselves. There is only one God was as radical and surprising of a statement then as it is today.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 4th, 2019 at 9:50:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
At least the Amish boot the youngsters out when they come of age and tell them to go out and experience life outside the faith. Take a break and see for themselves if they want to live that life style.
The Amish allow 'running around' in teenage years and permit leaving home, but there is no forced activities or departures. If a teenage girl has an overnight male guest, no questions will be asked and no comments will be made. He is free to have breakfast with the family or not, no comments about the activities will be made.

It is expected and tolerated, but not forced.
January 4th, 2019 at 10:09:24 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
If a teenage girl has an overnight male guest, no questions will be asked and no comments will be made..

But judgments will be made. The Amish are
even more judgmental than your average
Catholic or Protestant, they carry it to a whole
new level. They turn it into an art form.

Just like in the Catholic church, there is a lot
of sexual abuse. And just like the Catholics,
it's swept under the rug and kept quiet. It's
a male dominated sect of Christianity, just
like the Catholic's. Whenever you have that
you're going to see rampant sexual abuse.

She saw so many families where sexual abuse was passed down from generation to generation, and the mothers knew about it and could do nothing. If they went to the police, they’d be banned. Amish do not believe in divorce, so mothers whose children are sexually assaulted face a stark dilemma, Anna Olson said.

“You stick with it, or you leave,” she said. “But if you leave your spouse, you’re out. They’ll excommunicate you. And when that happens, the Amish consider you dead.”

Mast said mothers and children, who are not formally educated beyond the eighth grade, would be “terrified” to take accusations of sexual abuse to outside authorities.

“And if they went to the police, where do they go from there?” she asked.

“Amish children do what they’re told,” Olson said. “They don’t dare say a word.”
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2019 at 5:01:43 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
There are no other gods with a capital G. However, in Moses day as well as today there are plenty of pretend and false gods. Power, celebrity, greed, and the god that so many worship - ourselves. There is only one God was as radical and surprising of a statement then as it is today.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
January 4th, 2019 at 5:39:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
But judgments will be made.
We used to drive through Colorado city on our way to Mesquite to gamble. That's where one of the domiciles of the Warren Jeffs, FLDS church was located. They were so adamant that strangers wouldn't stop in town, there were no gas stations or 7-11's anywhere near the highway. I couldn't help but chuckle a little seeing all the girls wearing their bonnets.

Saw the same crap with the Mennonites/Hooterites in Montana.

Proof god has a sense of humor.
January 4th, 2019 at 6:42:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Saw the same crap with the Mennonites/Hooterites in Montana.

I used to deal with Amish people
all the time when I went to Indiana.
Very stuck up when dealing with
outsiders, they think very highly
of themselves, like they're god's
chosen. The funny thing is, they
drink a lot. Alcoholism is rampant
in the Amish community.

Secret drinking, because alcohol
is frowned upon. I was in a
liquor store in the 90's in Middlebury
IN, and an Amish guy comes in the
back door, is handed a paper bag,
and hurriedly leaves. The clerk told
me they make appointments ahead
of time and pay their bill every month.
They don't want to be seen in a liquor
store if they can help it.

It was around that time IN passed a
drunk driving law for horse drawn
carriages, it was getting so out of
hand. These god people, gotta stay
drunk to make it thru the day.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2019 at 7:44:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
I used to deal with Amish people
all the time when I went to Indiana.
Very stuck up when dealing with
outsiders, they think very highly
of themselves, like they're god's
chosen. The funny thing is, they
drink a lot. Alcoholism is rampant
in the Amish community.

Secret drinking, because alcohol
is frowned upon. I was in a
liquor store in the 90's in Middlebury
IN, and an Amish guy comes in the
back door, is handed a paper bag,
and hurriedly leaves. The clerk told
me they make appointments ahead
of time and pay their bill every month.
They don't want to be seen in a liquor
store if they can help it.

It was around that time IN passed a
drunk driving law for horse drawn
carriages, it was getting so out of
hand. These god people, gotta stay
drunk to make it thru the day.
1982 ? in Harloton Montana, a local village of Hutterites advertised in the local paper for stud service for their woman. They realized they were becoming to inbred. Sad, but true. They had described what they wanted the man to look like, 6 foot hard worker etc.

I don't begrudge people wanting to live their own way, but dam.

The village did do things I admire though. One was how they canned/processed vegetables. They didn't use a pressure cooker and didn't use jar lids. Even green beans, they got very hot and sealed the jars with parafin and stored them below ground in root cellars.

I've canned alot, but always had lids for meat, fish and vegetables. Not for hot pack jams though.

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/life/my-montana/2014/08/10/hutterites-make-mark-montana/13796021/
January 4th, 2019 at 7:58:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
1982 ? in Harloton Montana, a local village of Hutterites advertised in the local paper for stud service for their woman. They realized they were becoming to inbred. Sad, but true. They had described what they wanted the man to look like, 6 foot hard worker etc.

I responded to that ad. I was a 17-year-old Rubik's Cube solving king of the high school computer lab. They didn't pick me. Probably because I didn't make the height requirement.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 4th, 2019 at 8:23:24 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Wizard
I responded to that ad. I was a 17-year-old Rubik's Cube solving king of the high school computer lab. They didn't pick me. Probably because I didn't make the height requirement.
I didn't realize their search was that wide.

They would have done well to pick you. They were decent folks it seemed, the men would sneak into town to get drunk. The locals would brawl with them. Not much going on in sheep country.

I wouldn't be able to stand it, thinking I left one of my spawn somewhere in a village. Not saying it didn't happen someplace. But definitely not there. Those girls don't shave. Not sure your predilection ?

You might have been a big hit, sharing a needle with the whole village? lol