Original Sin?

January 4th, 2019 at 8:27:04 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: aceofspades
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts

This tired quote doesn't make a lot of sense. When I dismiss other religions it is not because of their belief in God. God's existence is a reality that everyone but atheists seem to grasp. They aren't dismissing a God, they are foolishly dismissing the concept of God. Until they understand that I don't think they can understand why they are so dismissed themselves.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 4th, 2019 at 8:45:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Could I just put out a friendly reminder to take everything Evenbob says, especially about anything to do with religion, with a BIG grain of salt. His problem as usual is using extreme language and interpreting his own personal experiences as universal. I'm sure there is drug use, alcohol abuse, and other problems in the Amish community. This is because they are compromised of human beings. However, these things are not rampant and more present in the Amish than the general population. Just like these humble pacifists are not egotistical holier than thou types.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 4th, 2019 at 9:03:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
Could I just put out a friendly reminder to take everything Evenbob says, especially about anything to do with religion, with a BIG grain of salt. His problem as usual is using extreme language and interpreting his own personal experiences as universal. I'm sure there is drug use, alcohol abuse, and other problems in the Amish community. This is because they are compromised of human beings. However, these things are not rampant and more present in the Amish than the general population. Just like these humble pacifists are not egotistical holier than thou types.

I'm wondering if maybe I've just worked in to many villages? I had a couple relatives growing up that were alcoholics. But they were the jovial kind, and after they had their fill, went to bed. They never abused anyone.

I just see people coping, using alcohol to deaden the pain. I don't judge it as a bad thing, unless they are smacking the family around and wrecking cars.

That is often how I see people joining religious groups, they need a coping mechanism. I don't think it's about God for all of them. They receive succor from a collection of similar minded folk, and they all agree to follow certain rules to remain in the gang.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 4th, 2019 at 11:18:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
That is often how I see people joining religious groups, they need a coping mechanism. .

Unless you're born into it and never
had a chance to think for yourself,
the god religions have always been
a place for the weak and troubled
to hang out. The Church does provide
a service there, the religious claptrap
they spew keeps some people off
the streets and in their care.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2019 at 11:26:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts

I love this quote, it's been around for
20 years or so. There's so much truth
in it. I don't believe in all the Roman
and Greek and Egyptian gods, and
there are millions that did. I don't
believe these are gods for obvious
reasons, and it's the same reason
I dismiss the Jewish god of the OT.
Fairy tales made up by ignorant
people to try and explain their
place in the universe. We've
outgrown the need for gods. At
least some of us have..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2019 at 5:08:42 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph

That is often how I see people joining religious groups, they need a coping mechanism. I don't think it's about God for all of them. They receive succor from a collection of similar minded folk, and they all agree to follow certain rules to remain in the gang.

I can acknowledge the truth of this statement. For some people religion is a community before it is a faith. I think healthy people realize this is not a weakness but rather something important for everyone and seen in the secular world as well. People who have no community and who don't experience love on a regular basis become bitter, angry, and hateful. Perhaps this anger becomes at times misdirected towards the very communities, be they religious or not, we need for our mental health.
January 5th, 2019 at 5:22:27 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
I love this quote, it's been around for
20 years or so. There's so much truth
in it. I don't believe in all the Roman
and Greek and Egyptian gods, and
there are millions that did. I don't
believe these are gods for obvious
reasons, and it's the same reason
I dismiss the Jewish god of the OT.
Fairy tales made up by ignorant
people to try and explain their
place in the universe. We've
outgrown the need for gods. At
least some of us have..

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Created-God-History-World/dp/1250044073
January 5th, 2019 at 10:33:49 AM permalink
Evenbob
https://www.amazon.com/Man-Created-God-History-World/dp/1250044073

After reading this in one of the reviews:

"The reader should be aware that it is written with a deep dislike of Christianity. At almost every opportunity, the book's assertions of what Christians believe are simply wrong."

I ordered the book. Thanks, Ace.
January 5th, 2019 at 10:45:21 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
After reading this in one of the reviews:

"The reader should be aware that it is written with a deep dislike of Christianity. At almost every opportunity, the book's assertions of what Christians believe are simply wrong."

I ordered the book. Thanks, Ace.

It's on my list of books to read in 2019
January 5th, 2019 at 11:51:03 AM permalink
Evenbob
It's on my list of books to read in 2019

If your brain wasn't polluted with religious
claptrap nonsense as a child, it's obvious
all gods were created by man for political
reasons. To have a hold over others, to get
them under your control. You create a god,
you create power for his preachers on earth.
Oldest racket in the world. And with every
tech advance, it's a dying racket.