Original Sin?

January 5th, 2019 at 1:09:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
If Bob actually reads the book he might finally be able to give a coherent answer to the amazing question as to why Christianity in its humble beginning ended up overthrowing all the pagan religions and becoming the single largest religion in the world.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 5th, 2019 at 1:12:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
After reading this in one of the reviews:

"The reader should be aware that it is written with a deep dislike of Christianity. At almost every opportunity, the book's assertions of what Christians believe are simply wrong."

I ordered the book. Thanks, Ace.

It doesn't suprise me that Bob gravitates to bigotry against Christians, this is the lie he has been brainwashed with for a very long time. I do think though that while certain aspects of this book will reaffirm historical myths he has and some faulty understanding of Christianity. I also think this book will actually get him to think and that is a glorious thing that could lead to many new and exciting things.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 5th, 2019 at 2:08:51 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
It doesn't suprise me that Bob gravitates to bigotry against Christians, this is the lie he has been brainwashed with for a very long time. I do think though that while certain aspects of this book will reaffirm historical myths he has and some faulty understanding of Christianity. I also think this book will actually get him to think and that is a glorious thing that could lead to many new and exciting things.

Padre - why don't you read the book as well and then EB and you can debate the book?
January 5th, 2019 at 2:17:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
Padre - why don't you read the book as well and then EB and you can debate the book?

He'll never read it. I don't talk to him
anymore, heard everything he's been
told to say 25 times, enough is enough..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2019 at 2:23:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: aceofspades

I would love to do that if Evenbob accepts. I've suggested something like this before. I don't think Bob would go for it, but a great idea.
January 5th, 2019 at 3:21:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
If Bob actually reads the book he might finally be able to give a coherent answer to the amazing question as to why Christianity in its humble beginning ended up overthrowing all the pagan religions and becoming the single largest religion in the world.
I can imagine Jesus disciples being teenagers as Bob did inform us, could have been similar to kids in inner city schools today. If you don't have a gang to belong to, it can be dangerous just being innocent.

They could see the writing on the wall with all the tribes and army's what their choices were. Either band together for mutual defense, join a standing army where they would be expected to fight, or go the Toga party peace route and do some panhandling.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 5th, 2019 at 3:57:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
Yep, it continues to boggle the mind how Christianity so changed human history. I think the best answer to explain it is Christ's divinity, but maybe this book offers another answer. Would you and Ace want to do a book study together with it? If you do would you then be willing to do another book study of my choice?
January 5th, 2019 at 4:40:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
I can imagine Jesus disciples being teenagers as Bob did inform us, could have been similar to kids in inner city schools today.

It was more of a tradition thing. Between
age 12 and 18 it was expected by some
Jewish sects that the boy would follow
a rabbi for a few years, then get married
after 18. I saw another painting of the
last supper a couple days ago and had
to laugh. A couple of the disciples were
in their 50's. Never would have happened
in that era.

The last supper has been painted hundreds
of times. Look at this one, half a dozen
of them are close to 50. Pretty funny that
the Church kept it secret that all of Jesus
disciples were wet behind the ears kids.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2019 at 5:32:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
How or why would you keep something secret that was traditional and expected for that time?
January 5th, 2019 at 5:47:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Yep, it continues to boggle the mind how Christianity so changed human history. I think the best answer to explain it is Christ's divinity, but maybe this book offers another answer. Would you and Ace want to do a book study together with it? If you do would you then be willing to do another book study of my choice?
Do you think you would be able to read the first book, considering you may have been wrong all along?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW