In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

April 24th, 2020 at 9:08:02 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
It is not a police state. If it was everyone at the house would have been arrested.

She was arrested for being where she legally could not be, she knew in advance. She ignored orders and warnings to leave. The park was closed to the public, she was there illegally and was arrested.

She went there to make a statement. She had to go out of her way to get arrested. She was not snatched off the street randomly. This story continues to be taken out of context.

For the record She planned her arrest. She wanted to be arrested in front of her children. Her intent was to get arrested while using her children as a shield.
People still do not seem to understand that this was a planned event. This was not some random aloof mother snatched up at a park.

Planned or not does not matter. It is a protest against the current police state the USA has become under the china virus scare.

I am hopeful that the 3rd Amendment remains intact during our 'war' on the virus
April 24th, 2020 at 9:11:31 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Fleastiff
Pretty much all law enforcement is. I understand NYC has been obsessively enforcing jaywalking and littering laws for years.

I wish that were true in more cities. I hate when people dump trash in the street. And Police seem to give leniency to homeless in this regard, sadly this causes homeless encampments to become literal dumps. And, nothing is done.

Littering is a safety issue. It is environmental safety, general cleanliness, and overall health of a city. If police actually wrote a ticket every time somebody dropped a cig on the street or tossed a beer can in the gutter, the City would be flooded with revenue, and the City would be better off for it.

I am aware as to the homeless issue that police don't write tickets simply because it is too much work (no ID, no way to track if they pay or show up to court), but this goes back to why we need a national bio-metric database.

Homeless are basically immune from tickets where there is monetary fine. Police and city officials know they will never collect. Therefore, if a homeless person is jaywalking alongside someone wearing a business suit, guess who will get a ticket.
April 24th, 2020 at 9:33:32 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
this goes back to why we need a national bio-metric database.

Jesus H Christ, this guy wants a police state on steroids. 😒
April 24th, 2020 at 9:52:13 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: aceofspades
Pretty much all law enforcement is. I understand NYC has been obsessively enforcing jaywalking and littering laws for years.

I wish that were true in more cities. I hate when people dump trash in the street. And Police seem to give leniency to homeless in this regard, sadly this causes homeless encampments to become literal dumps. And, nothing is done.

Littering is a safety issue. It is environmental safety, general cleanliness, and overall health of a city. If police actually wrote a ticket every time somebody dropped a cig on the street or tossed a beer can in the gutter, the City would be flooded with revenue, and the City would be better off for it.

I am aware as to the homeless issue that police don't write tickets simply because it is too much work (no ID, no way to track if they pay or show up to court), but this goes back to why we need a national bio-metric database.

Homeless are basically immune from tickets where there is monetary fine. Police and city officials know they will never collect. Therefore, if a homeless person is jaywalking alongside someone wearing a business suit, guess who will get a ticket.

I sadly agree and know first hand.

But, it is completely counterproductive mindset for cities to have.

Cities don't want to address the homeless issue.
April 25th, 2020 at 3:14:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

That is "broken window" policing, and it is what turned NYC from a hell hole sewer to a place people want to live. And both of those actually cause problems.
The President is a fink.
April 25th, 2020 at 3:20:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO
Well duhhhhh It will only kill 3x what the flu usually does BECAUSE of the draconian measures taken. Of course we will never know if it would have killed 5x, 10x, 50x a normal flu season had we done nothing special.

I am not arguing that per life saved it is worth the cost. That is very complex to decide. I've said that we need to not open up until the regular medical infrastructure can handle the dead and dying.
To me, until the Javits Center is no longer a hospital, until the tents in Central Park are gone, until the boat isn't needed, it just isn't time yet.....in NYC.

And we do not know if it would not have mattered. But what is clear is in most all but NYC we do not have an overloaded medical system. We in fact have hospitals losing money because of the ban on elective procedures. We have those "field" hospitals never used. We have the Navy hospital ships leaving dock, essentially unneeded. We have 25000 ventalators unneeded because Gov Fredo went with the doomsday prediction.

It might not be time yet in NYC, it is most everywhere else. Was two weeks ago.

Quote:
i am not against Alaska and Montana just using some form of social distancing while essentially opening up. As long as the Alaskans and Montanans realize more of them will die than would have if they didn't open up.

As far as overcounting, that is also complicated. Trust me, if you are the hospital CEO, you don't want anyone to know you have a COVID patient there, let alone dead from COVID. But, if you think you will get some Federal handout per death, well it was COVID then.

I think it was here I saw a picture of a dead man splattered on the ground with an unopened parachute.... a nurse puts a swab in his mouth and says he died from COVID....

More *might* die from it. But more will die from suicide and OD as their lives are destroyed by the police state and synthetic economic depression.
The President is a fink.
April 25th, 2020 at 4:12:12 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Marine Corps Bans Public Display of Confederate Flag

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/us/marine-corps-confederate-flag.html

Who would have thought it would become prohibited for the military to display a treasonous flag.
April 25th, 2020 at 4:21:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: gamerfreak
Marine Corps Bans Public Display of Confederate Flag

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/us/marine-corps-confederate-flag.html

Who would have thought it would become prohibited for the military to display a treasonous flag.

Isn't the American flag treasonous then for the same reason?
The President is a fink.
April 25th, 2020 at 4:59:23 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
Isn't the American flag treasonous then for the same reason?

America was founded with the intent of freedom and no taxation without representation.

The confederacy was founded to uphold an institution of slavery and white supremacy.

The confederacy also lost.

Big difference.
April 25th, 2020 at 5:19:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: gamerfreak
America was founded with the intent of freedom and no taxation without representation.

The confederacy was founded to uphold an institution of slavery and white supremacy.

The confederacy also lost.

Big difference.

Not really.

Should the British Flag be banned then?
The President is a fink.