In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 5th, 2021 at 12:11:23 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
The stock market is not the economy.

The Dow could drop 20,000 points tomorrow and I’d still be dancing in the streets over the fact that Donny is a one-term loser.

Trump would almost certainly (if still alive) run and win in 2024 if that happened.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 5th, 2021 at 12:18:58 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
Apparently Long Beach California is forcing some supermarket type stores to add $4 an hour in 'hazard' pay to all employees at those stores. Adding to the unemployment lines as kroger has closed two stores rather than comply. They were basically being told to add thousands a day to their costs (example $32 x 30 employees + FICA, etc..) with what way to recoup those expenses? If they raise their prices customers just go to the town closest to Long Beach.... hence ... CLOSED!

Would you rather have a job or no job, but if you did have the job you'd get hazard pay? I know how a Democrat would answer, because now the newly unemployed person will get Unemployment payments from the State and Feds that might exceed what they were getting by working! I LOVE progressive ideas and policies..... NOT!

California is a weird country.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 5th, 2021 at 12:19:55 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: ams288
Many grocery store workers are forced to be in close proximity to idiotic customers who refuse to wear masks.

They're not being forced to do anything; they can quit their jobs at any time they wish. Apparently, there are plenty of presently unemployed people who could replace them.

As far as the idiotic customers are concerned, everyone already knows what I think of that. The store has the right to ban anyone that doesn't comply.
February 5th, 2021 at 1:11:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
They're not being forced to do anything; they can quit their jobs at any time they wish. Apparently, there are plenty of presently unemployed people who could replace them.

As far as the idiotic customers are concerned, everyone already knows what I think of that. The store has the right to ban anyone that doesn't comply.

What if it was the only grocery store for 50 miles?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 5th, 2021 at 2:04:32 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
What if it was the only grocery store for 50 miles?

How about just move closer to another store? I don't understand people that want everything to come to them. Just move or quit bitching.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 5th, 2021 at 2:19:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
How about just move closer to another store? I don't understand people that want everything to come to them. Just move or quit bitching.

Now you have a 50 mile drive to your good paying job making Tesla cars and your kids and your wife lost all their friends.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 5th, 2021 at 2:26:25 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Now you have a 50 mile drive to your good paying job making Tesla cars and your kids and your wife lost all their friends.

Right, it is a choice.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 5th, 2021 at 2:27:34 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

The store owner should have the right to the same rules you want Mike to have. His house, his rules. If you don't like it start your own store. You have expressed that opinion many times.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 5th, 2021 at 2:50:05 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
Said it is not worth all the draconian lockdowns.

But yet you never held Trump responsible when he shut the economy down. If you have a problem with the shutdowns, why have you continuously placed heaping praise on Trump for how he handled the virus response, which included a lock down? HIS task force recommended the original shutdown. You only have a problem with shutdowns in democrat cities and democrat states?
February 5th, 2021 at 2:50:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
The store owner should have the right to the same rules you want Mike to have. His house, his rules. If you don't like it start your own store. You have expressed that opinion many times.

Guess you missed the irony. I actually see the whole idea as problematic. For instance why would you want a city full of Muslim taxi drivers who won't drive anyone to the local bars because of their view on consumption of alcohol. Or if the only pharmacist in town won't fill birth control pills because of his beliefs. Or You find out the owners of a motel in the middle of nowhere won't let you stay in his rooms because you're not married to the woman you're with.

It's all fine if you've got plenty of easy alternatives. It's the minority view that isn't protected in such cases.

Btw, I use the word problematic because I don't necessarily see a full reversal as unproblematic either