In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

July 1st, 2021 at 11:45:57 AM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: rxwine
The confiscation part may be ruled unconstutional. Not sure why the rest would.

Keep watching and you'll figure it out the definition of "shall not be infringed"
Taxation & requiring insurance are both financial infringements on firearm ownership.
9th Circuit of Appeals just heard the oral arguments in Duncan v. Becerra
9th will overturn the San Diego District Court's decision to throw out the 10 round magazine ban.
Then case heads to SCOTUS which is highly likely to vote to take the case now that it is 6-3 Conservative.
SCOTUS has already agreed to hear case on "shall issue" CCW rights in NY RIfle & Pistol Assoc v. Corlett.
Decision will allow widespread CCW issuance in all 50 states to moral & responsible citizens with no criminal records.
It's gonna be tears from the Leftists on gun right cases over the next 2-3 years.
Those damn Founding Documents always getting in the way of "common sense" gun laws.
LMAO
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
July 1st, 2021 at 11:47:53 AM permalink
JCW09
Quote: Gandler
But, local governments already have the right to require all kinds of insurance for all kinds of activities, why should guns be any different?

Yeah, it's that Consitutional Rights thingy. Cars aren't a protected right.
July 1st, 2021 at 12:21:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: JCW09
Keep watching and you'll figure it out the definition of "shall not be infringed"
Taxation & requiring insurance are both financial infringements on firearm ownership.
9th Circuit of Appeals just heard the oral arguments in Duncan v. Becerra
9th will overturn the San Diego District Court's decision to throw out the 10 round magazine ban.
Then case heads to SCOTUS which is highly likely to vote to take the case now that it is 6-3 Conservative.
SCOTUS has already agreed to hear case on "shall issue" CCW rights in NY RIfle & Pistol Assoc v. Corlett.
Decision will allow widespread CCW issuance in all 50 states to moral & responsible citizens with no criminal records.
It's gonna be tears from the Leftists on gun right cases over the next 2-3 years.
Those damn Founding Documents always getting in the way of "common sense" gun laws.
LMAO

Even the originalist conservative Scalia said gun rights aren't unlimited.

Quote:
Some undoubtedly are [permissible] because there were some that were acknowledged at the time” the Constitution was written, Scalia said. He cited a practice from that era known as “frighting,” where people “carried around a really horrible weapon just to scare people, like a head axe or something. That was, I believe, a misdemeanor.”

“So yes, there are some limitations that can be imposed,” Scalia said. “What they are will depend on what the society understood were reasonable limitations at the time.”
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 1st, 2021 at 12:32:23 PM permalink
JCW09
Quote: rxwine
“So yes, there are some limitations that can be imposed,” Scalia said. “What they are will depend on what the society understood were reasonable limitations at the time.”

So to be clear, your argument is that in 1791 when the Bill of Rights was passed,
that taxation on ownership would have been what "society understood to be a reasonable limitation at the time"?
The Founding Fathers had just thrown some tea in the Boston Harbor like 13 years earlier over taxation.
The 16th Amendment doesn't even give the government the right to levy tax until 1909
But you run with that, see how it holds up under judicial scrutiny.
July 1st, 2021 at 12:37:29 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Trump Org. CFO Allen Weisselberg is toast.

Hopefully you don’t need to be a CPA to know that keeping spreadsheets with that information on it was a BAD IDEA. 😂
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 1st, 2021 at 12:45:59 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
The Constitution does not require financial responsibility to own a firearm, but any gun owner who does not carry firearm liability coverage is making a very big mistake.

Chances are, if they own a home, they have homeowners insurance, which covers accidental shootings.

The insurance might also cover the insured, if their weapon is stolen and involved in a crime.
July 1st, 2021 at 12:52:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: JCW09
So to be clear, your argument is that in 1791 when the Bill of Rights was passed,
that taxation on ownership would have been what "society understood to be a reasonable limitation at the time"?
The Founding Fathers had just thrown some tea in the Boston Harbor like 13 years earlier over taxation.
The 16th Amendment doesn't even give the government the right to levy tax until 1909
But you run with that, see how it holds up under judicial scrutiny.

I'm arguing that it already has. Just like conservatives like to argue that the militia clause by examples of the time, wasn't meant to be universally applied if you look at the time period rather than what was written.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 1st, 2021 at 12:58:25 PM permalink
JCW09
Sorry, not following your "it already has" comment.
Can you elaborate and I am not being snarky, I don't get what you are saying.
July 1st, 2021 at 1:08:48 PM permalink
JCW09
Quote: ams288
Hopefully you don’t need to be a CPA to know that keeping spreadsheets with that information on it was a BAD IDEA. 😂

Per the NYT, evidently you do need to be a CPA to figure it out.
"Those types of benefits are generally taxable, though there are exceptions, and the tax rules can be murky."
July 1st, 2021 at 1:12:50 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: gamerfreak
Is Trail Bologna what the Ohio Amish call Lebanon bologna?

I think both Trail and Lebanon are the areas where the bologna is made. I have no idea if they are similar but both are made in Amish areas.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.