In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 23rd, 2022 at 12:01:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I think about 247,000 people would disagree with you as they make minimum wage.

Out of 163 million workers that is nobody. I cannot even remember seeing a job advertising paying minimum wage in I have no idea how long.
The President is a fink.
October 23rd, 2022 at 1:07:15 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
No job that pays minimum wage is going to be dumb enough to advertise it. They’ll get the desperate interviewee in the door before disclosing it. Originally frame pay as depends on experience, hire people with little/no industry experience and later in the process deflect to opportunity for advancement. If “no one” paid minimum wage OR CLOSE TO there wouldn’t be such pushback against raising it.
October 23rd, 2022 at 1:58:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rquiredusername
No job that pays minimum wage is going to be dumb enough to advertise it. They’ll get the desperate interviewee in the door before disclosing it. Originally frame pay as depends on experience, hire people with little/no industry experience and later in the process deflect to opportunity for advancement. If “no one” paid minimum wage OR CLOSE TO there wouldn’t be such pushback against raising it.

Well, lets flip it since you are missing the point. I have not seen a job advertising less than $10 per hour in years. And $10 itself is low.

The market has taken care of things. Raising minimum wage shuts out the entry level worker. How many times does this need to be explained?

Now, thinking people should be asking why the Democrat Party has not pushed for it as they are in power for the last 2 years. Could it be they care about the issue not the people?
The President is a fink.
October 23rd, 2022 at 2:26:39 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
Out of 163 million workers that is nobody. I cannot even remember seeing a job advertising paying minimum wage in I have no idea how long.

I agree it is insignificant, but it is still 247,000 people. Only 58,000 Americans were killed in Vietnam, and very few people would say that number is nobody.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 23rd, 2022 at 2:44:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I agree it is insignificant, but it is still 247,000 people. Only 58,000 Americans were killed in Vietnam, and very few people would say that number is nobody.

You are getting all hung up on words and the problem here of reading literal not figurative. 0.15% is what you are talking. At that low part we are talking people who can work for more if they want to. I am guessing a big part of these people are ones working not for "work" but for some kind of "experience" in an internship or other job paying minimum because it is at a non-profit or something the like.
The President is a fink.
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:12:32 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
I saw $10 at McDonald’s in Louisiana just last week. Have seen $9.xx south of Jackson, Mississippi at McDonald’s and Taco Bell last spring, meanwhile they were open random hours on and off because of lack of staff. Wonder why, must be because people are “lazy.”

I guess a world that exists doesn’t exist if you ignore it or if it’s not the majority. I’m not even arguing it’s wrong. I’m just not going to pretend it doesn’t exist.
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:20:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rquiredusername
I saw $10 at McDonald’s in Louisiana just last week. Have seen $9.xx south of Jackson, Mississippi at McDonald’s and Taco Bell last spring, meanwhile they were open random hours on and off because of lack of staff. Wonder why, must be because people are “lazy.”

The market is working in this case. There is an amount the stores can charge and an amount they can pay. Jackson is not exactly a high income area so the local population is probably price sensitive.
The President is a fink.
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:24:39 PM permalink
DRich
You are getting all hung up on words and the problem here of reading literal not figurative.

Absolutely, to me the word nobody is very definitive. If you had said a small percentage of workers are minimum wage you would have been correct. My wife hates that I take everything very literal, and I don't like people that are not literal. It confuses me.
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:32:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Absolutely, to me the word nobody is very definitive. If you had said a small percentage of workers are minimum wage you would have been correct. My wife hates that I take everything very literal, and I don't like people that are not literal. It confuses me.

If one wants to be involved in intelligent conversations they have to learn how to understand this kind of thing. Really, I am talking 4th-5th grade is when our reading classes taught it. Same with talking in general terms. If you have a problem with this life will be very tough on you indeed.
The President is a fink.
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:51:42 PM permalink
DRich
If one wants to be involved in intelligent conversations they have to learn how to understand this kind of thing. Really, I am talking 4th-5th grade is when our reading classes taught it. Same with talking in general terms. If you have a problem with this life will be very tough on you indeed.

In my career as a software engineer, taking things literally is the difference between being correct and causing bugs. 5+5 is not "around 10" it is exactly 10. I admit that I am not typical but it confuses me when people are not definitive on something that can be stated as factual or not. The word approximately is not used enough by people including myself.