In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 11th, 2019 at 2:51:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 21
Posts: 3826
Quote: DRich
About 151,000 people die each day. 33 seems rather insignificant to me.
Thirty thousand per day from starvation.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
June 11th, 2019 at 8:23:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 55
Posts: 6905
hydrogen charging station in Norway explodes; circumstances unknown.
June 12th, 2019 at 12:15:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 911
Posts: 10783
Quote: DRich
About 151,000 people die each day. 33 seems rather insignificant to me.


It is closer to 100,000 deaths per day worldwide, and about 7,5000 deaths in the USA (vs 10,500 births).
On average, there are 129 suicides and 47 murders per day in the USA. I suppose the gun deaths are divided between murders and suicides.
June 12th, 2019 at 12:47:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 118
Posts: 9691
Quote: Pacomartin
It is closer to 100,000 deaths per day worldwide, and about 7,5000 deaths in the USA (vs 10,500 births).
On average, there are 129 suicides and 47 murders per day in the USA. I suppose the gun deaths are divided between murders and suicides.


Not even one per state per day. Doing pretty good.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
June 12th, 2019 at 1:54:49 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Member since: Oct 28, 2012
Threads: 100
Posts: 2519
one of the curious things about the US is the proportion of suicides in gun deaths

from wikipedia

Mustard:You like Kipling, Miss Scarlet? Sure, I'll eat anything [from movie]
June 12th, 2019 at 2:21:05 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 44
Posts: 4730
Quote: odiousgambit
one of the curious things about the US is the proportion of suicides in gun deaths

from wikipedia



Its the primary reason why I don't own a gun
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 12th, 2019 at 3:36:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 128
Posts: 17433
Quote: terapined


Its the primary reason why I don't own a gun


You're afraid you'll kill yourself with it?
That's what chart is about.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 12th, 2019 at 5:07:56 PM permalink
kenarman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 10
Posts: 1541
Quote: terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
one of the curious things about the US is the proportion of suicides in gun deaths

from wikipedia



Its the primary reason why I don't own a gun


I would take that chart with a grain of salt. For the US they show more gun related suicides than total suicides. HOW? The antigun crowd wouldn't play with the numbers would they?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 12th, 2019 at 5:12:05 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Member since: Sep 3, 2013
Threads: 6
Posts: 1553
Quote: kenarman
Quote: terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
one of the curious things about the US is the proportion of suicides in gun deaths

from wikipedia



Its the primary reason why I don't own a gun


I would take that chart with a grain of salt. For the US they show more gun related suicides than total suicides. HOW? The antigun crowd wouldn't play with the numbers would they?


The green bar is not total suicides. It's what's left after accounting for gun-related suicides - every method EXCEPT guns.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 12th, 2019 at 5:16:15 PM permalink
kenarman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 10
Posts: 1541
Quote: beachbumbabs
Quote: kenarman
Quote: terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
one of the curious things about the US is the proportion of suicides in gun deaths

from wikipedia



Its the primary reason why I don't own a gun


I would take that chart with a grain of salt. For the US they show more gun related suicides than total suicides. HOW? The antigun crowd wouldn't play with the numbers would they?


The green bar is not total suicides. It's what's left after accounting for gun-related suicides - every method EXCEPT guns.


Yes my bad I didn't read the graph carefully enough. Notice that S. Korea has the highest rate and not a gun in site. Hmmmm
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin