Pet Peeves

April 11th, 2020 at 7:25:17 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman

Who is up for starting a small cart manufacturing biz?

Easy answer. Ford. They can't sell cars so why not?
April 11th, 2020 at 12:18:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Gandler
Quote: petroglyph
I want the small carts. I was doing a personal study on what happened to the small carts at the local Safeway store. A couple things occurred to me or seemed to? Last year when the snowbirds arrived [it is full on season now, wait until after xmas] it is near impossible to get one of the small carts. Snowbirds are generally old people that get smaller amounts.

I learned the answer from the cart sanitizer lady today.

Seems there was one place making the smaller carts, and they went out of business.

Maybe preferences changed since hoarding became the thing? But as close as 3 months ago, when I would go to our local Safeway, people always take the smaller carts first unless they are doing mega shopping? Walking through the store or parking lot, occasionally I would converse with people about it, and they all loved the smaller carts.

I read this earlier and thought about it. Fixing shopping carts is apparently part of the gig economy? Observing carts left in parking lots, trying to imagine how many trips they make in and out before needing repair or replacement, it is obvious to me that there is a difference in quality. The old chrome carts are more durable than new painted ones, imo.

I wondered about that, doing a mental experiment here locally. A store bought about 150 new ones and mixed them in with the old chrome ones that were wearing down, about 2 years ago. It was easy to tell that the chrome ones would roll nicer than the new ones. I would experiment a little with it, and would always go for an old "chromer" when shopping. The new painted ones are always hard to steer, and often only 3 wheels touch the ground.

You may have something here Az.?

I was watching a program of a couple shopping in Europe pushing a cart. It took me awhile to figure out what the shiny thing was until I got a close-up, those carts had a magnifying glass attached to the cart so people could read labels. I thought those wouldn't hold up in good ole America, we don't like nice things.
April 11th, 2020 at 5:01:09 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Gandler
Quote: petroglyph
I want the small carts. I was doing a personal study on what happened to the small carts at the local Safeway store. A couple things occurred to me or seemed to? Last year when the snowbirds arrived [it is full on season now, wait until after xmas] it is near impossible to get one of the small carts. Snowbirds are generally old people that get smaller amounts.

I learned the answer from the cart sanitizer lady today.

Seems there was one place making the smaller carts, and they went out of business.

I am curious if that is true. It could be (or maybe just the company that their chain contracts with).

But, I also notice it seems harder and harder to find stores that have baskets (and since this COVID-19) some of the few that did seem to have gotten ride of them. But, I think there is more to it, Walmart now (within the past year I think) has the alarms on the baskets (the kind on expensive merchandise that go off when you pass the door sensor).

I suspect there are a multitude of reasons, baskets and small carts are easier to walk off with which is a big loss for stores. And, perhaps more importantly studies show, bigger carts encourage more buying.

But, in any case I hope small carts make a come back.
April 11th, 2020 at 6:48:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Throughout France women carry tiny little packets of cord which fit in a pocket or purse but expand to hold items during and after shopping. Think of fish net stockings, if you've a mind to.
May 17th, 2020 at 3:56:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Is it really too much trouble for restaurants serving Chinese carryout food to rotate their fortunate cookie stock? Old stale cookies probably have about zero chance of endangering your health, but it's still annoying.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 17th, 2020 at 4:06:17 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
Throughout France women carry tiny little packets of cord which fit in a pocket or purse but expand to hold items during and after shopping. Think of fish net stockings, if you've a mind to.

Smart
Maybe I should do that
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 17th, 2020 at 4:08:30 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
Is it really too much trouble for restaurants serving Chinese carryout food to rotate their fortunate cookie stock? Old stale cookies probably have about zero chance of endangering your health, but it's still annoying.

Wow
You eat those things?
I'm not eating anything not prepared in the restaurant.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 17th, 2020 at 4:57:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: terapined
Wow
You eat those things?
I'm not eating anything not prepared in the restaurant.

It's good luck.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 17th, 2020 at 6:06:41 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
It's good luck.

Believe me, I know all about the Chinese good luck superstitions. There are a lot.
Eating a fortune cookie is not one of them. lol
My Mom was Chinese
About the only one I follow for good luck is to eat noodles on my birthday
Once in a while I'll use a piece of her old jewelry as a card protector when I played poker for luck. Most times I forget.
sigh, I doubt I'll ever play poker again.
I might if they figure out a safe way to do it. Something akin to playing on the internet but you can see the other players at least 6 feet away.
December 6th, 2020 at 1:12:53 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
[rant]

Pet Peeve that is building and building on me as I get older:

the modern digital age and having to relearn constantly: the people in charge of turning out new products don't have a clue how to not screw it up. Worst of all, these people love to take a feature you really liked in, say, version 1.1 and by version 1.3 it is gone forever!

example: a long time ago I learned how to use Paint on my PC. Now that is gone and there is Paint 3d. Fine! I'm thinking. 'Since I learned how to use Paint, Paint 3d should be easy for me to pick up real quick'. Nope, the new program is a monstrosity in this regard. They don't care, they never care, they just suit themselves! I can barely use Paint 3d, yet I sometimes need it and do for simple stuff like saving an image. Any other program is even worse for that.

current irritation: learned how to use the garmin Nuvi 44 for the vehicle. Needed to get a new one and it's a Nuvi 50, came out soon after of course. Wouldn't you know the damn thing has all kinds of changes and every feature you liked is gone. I have to get out the manual constantly.

[/rant]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]