Right and Wrong

Page 3 of 16<123456>Last »
September 28th, 2014 at 3:30:48 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I wish more people took seriously the openness Carl Sagan encourages at the end of the video to wonder at what is not a small group but millions upon millions of sane, sober, and intelligent people throughout human history that have had their lives changed through their belief in Jesus Christ. It is no insignificant data of a few neighbors and the topic is not invisible dragons, but rather a person who claims to be God and who can show us what it means to be human and how to live our lives free from hate, open to forgiveness, and centered on love. This means that there is another sensible approach rather than tentatively rejecting the Christian hypothesis. Why don't we test out their teachings, begin a life of prayer, read the Scriptures? Or study the lives of Christians and see what a difference this person they believe in makes in their lives? When the invisible dragon, speaks, teaches, is present in the historical record, has billions of followers, the data is not so insignificant.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 28th, 2014 at 4:18:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Why don't we test out their teachings, begin a life of prayer, read the Scriptures?.

You can change your life for the better
with any religion. Or by joining a 12
step program. Or by seeing a shrink.
Or by doing anything proactive that
makes you stop and think before you
act.

You like Christianity, I do not. There's
no difference in the end.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 28th, 2014 at 4:28:16 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I wish more people took seriously the openness Carl Sagan encourages at the end of the video to wonder at what is not a small group but millions upon millions of sane, sober, and intelligent people throughout human history that have had their lives changed through their belief in Jesus Christ. It is no insignificant data of a few neighbors and the topic is not invisible dragons, but rather a person who claims to be God and who can show us what it means to be human and how to live our lives free from hate, open to forgiveness, and centered on love. This means that there is another sensible approach rather than tentatively rejecting the Christian hypothesis. Why don't we test out their teachings, begin a life of prayer, read the Scriptures? Or study the lives of Christians and see what a difference this person they believe in makes in their lives? When the invisible dragon, speaks, teaches, is present in the historical record, has billions of followers, the data is not so insignificant.

I'm an atheist.
No doubt "millions of sane, sober, and intelligent people throughout human history that have had their lives changed through their belief in Jesus Christ. "
regardless, I remain an atheist.
Do I admire the Philosophy of Jesus Christ, of course.
Anybody kind and preaching kindness, its all good to me.
Many of the teaching parables Jesus taught, definitely good stuff.
You simply don't need to be a Christian to understand his teachings and try to live a life revolving around a philosophy of love, kindness with no hate.
I love all the teachings of Jesus Christ regarding kindness and love but I am also an atheist.
I simply don't believe in the immaculate conception and resurrection , but I am a fan of the philosophy.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 28th, 2014 at 4:45:11 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83

It is a testament (pun intended) to your faith that you took Carl Sagan's words as a positive towards religion.
September 29th, 2014 at 11:54:23 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: terapined
I'm an atheist.
No doubt "millions of sane, sober, and intelligent people throughout human history that have had their lives changed through their belief in Jesus Christ. "
regardless, I remain an atheist.
Do I admire the Philosophy of Jesus Christ, of course.
Anybody kind and preaching kindness, its all good to me.
Many of the teaching parables Jesus taught, definitely good stuff.
You simply don't need to be a Christian to understand his teachings and try to live a life revolving around a philosophy of love, kindness with no hate.
I love all the teachings of Jesus Christ regarding kindness and love but I am also an atheist.
I simply don't believe in the immaculate conception and resurrection , but I am a fan of the philosophy.

Reminds me of a friend who once told me that theologically he was an atheist because he didn't like the idea of anyone being superior to him who could tell him what to do; scientifically he was an agnostic because there is just too much that points to a creator to be sure there isn't one; and morally he is a Christian because he said, "Is there really any better way to live?"
I gave him props for at least thinking it out.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 29th, 2014 at 1:33:09 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
scientifically he was an agnostic because there is just too much that points to a creator to be sure there isn't one;

I feel my eyes itching to roll.

Let me try a different tack. Disprove the following: Humanity is the most technologically advanced species in the whole Milky Way Galaxy.

Quote:
and morally he is a Christian because he said, "Is there really any better way to live?"

We need to debate ethics one of these days...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 2nd, 2014 at 7:41:24 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed

Let me try a different tack. Disprove the following: Humanity is the most technologically advanced species in the whole Milky Way Galaxy.

All the evidence seems to point towards proving that indeed humanity is the most technologically advanced species in the galaxy. Unless you know something we don't know or you are counting the example of Evenbob. (just kidding Bob, totally a joke you know I luv ya!)
October 2nd, 2014 at 8:04:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
All the evidence seems to point towards proving that indeed humanity is the most technologically advanced species in the galaxy.

I said "disprove." You'd have to present me with the level of advancement of every other sentient species in the galaxy, then make a case why humans are not the most advanced.

Quote:
Unless you know something we don't know or you are counting the example of Evenbob.

Who?

Seriously, given what we know about the age, size and composition of the galaxy, including the recent discoveries of many extra-solar planets, plus what we know about biochemical and biological evolution, simple odds indicate there must be older, more advanced species.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 2nd, 2014 at 12:25:54 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
All the evidence seems to point towards proving that indeed humanity is the most technologically advanced species in the galaxy. Unless you know something we don't know or you are counting the example of Evenbob. (just kidding Bob, totally a joke you know I luv ya!)

There's very little evidence for or against this claim. It's a nonsense to pretend there is anything like enough info to tell us about being the most advanced species in the galaxy. Being 50 years more advanced than us wouldn't show up for a species 200 light year that way ---->

You might be able to make the claim for the -solar system-. I'd probably agree for planet Earth....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 2nd, 2014 at 12:50:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: TheCesspit
I'd probably agree for planet Earth....

I'd be hesitant in going even that far..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 3 of 16<123456>Last »