Right and Wrong

Page 4 of 16<1234567>Last »
October 2nd, 2014 at 4:27:04 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: FrGamble
All the evidence seems to point towards proving that indeed humanity is the most technologically advanced species in the galaxy. Unless you know something we don't know or you are counting the example of Evenbob. (just kidding Bob, totally a joke you know I luv ya!)

"All the evidence"
All the scant evidence.
I cant even comprehend the size and scale of the Galaxy and Universe.
All we see when we look up into the sky is ancient history. We don't have the foggiest idea what is going on around these stars today.
Lets say a star we can barely see blows up today. Will we know about it today, of course not, we wont know for thousands of years because that's how long it takes for the light of the explosion to reach us so we can see it blow up. Its a real big Galaxy. Its a real big Universe. All we can view is ancient history.
Maybe an intelligent being from a distant galaxy is trying to send us a message today, the message wont get here for thousands of years. That how big it is out there.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 2nd, 2014 at 5:23:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
There's very little evidence for or against this claim.

Right. There is one (1) existing technologically advanced species. There may have been more in the past (Neanderthal Man, Homo Erectus, etc.), but not any more. There is also only one known existing planet with life, Earth. Everything else is supposition and educated guesses based on lots of statistical data.

Yet there is tangible evidence of a technologically advanced species, of a life-bearing planet, and of large numbers of stars and a small number of planets outside the Solar System.

And that's much more evidence than there is for the existence of any kind of god, which currently stands at none.

Quote:
You might be able to make the claim for the -solar system-. I'd probably agree for planet Earth....

Probably?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 2nd, 2014 at 5:28:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
All we can view is ancient history.

Ancient history commonly refers to the period between the rise of the first civilizations with written records until the Middle Ages, say 4,000 to 6,000 years or so. before that comes pre-history and after that comes modern history.

There are lots of stars closer to us than 500 light years. So we can view modern history as well.

Proxima Centauri us only ~4.5 light years away. That's contemporary.

On the scale of the universe, though, we can't even view pre-history. The distances are too great.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 2nd, 2014 at 6:37:02 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
Ancient history commonly refers to the period between the rise of the first civilizations with written records until the Middle Ages, say 4,000 to 6,000 years or so. before that comes pre-history and after that comes modern history.

There are lots of stars closer to us than 500 light years. So we can view modern history as well.

Proxima Centauri us only ~4.5 light years away. That's contemporary.

On the scale of the universe, though, we can't even view pre-history. The distances are too great.

OK, how about this
"A long long time ago in a Galaxy far far away"
The light is just reaching us to view those star wars battles that happened a long time ago :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 2nd, 2014 at 9:56:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's kind of cool that there's no evidence of
god. The religious people really have to go
out on a limb, supporting a belief they can't
begin to prove. All of their evidence consists
of things people wrote down thousands of
years ago. Which would immediately be
thrown out of any court as hearsay..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 2nd, 2014 at 10:31:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Right. There is one (1) existing technologically advanced species. There may have been more in the past (Neanderthal Man, Homo Erectus, etc.), but not any more. There is also only one known existing planet with life, Earth. Everything else is supposition and educated guesses based on lots of statistical data.

Yet there is tangible evidence of a technologically advanced species, of a life-bearing planet, and of large numbers of stars and a small number of planets outside the Solar System.

I did kind of laugh when I read your post Nareed. I'm not quite sure where you are going with all of this, but it sounds like you are laying the case for believing there is a more technologically advanced species than us without having any evidence other than an educated guess and good logic. I am not against this mind you as I believe faith is a similar process.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 2nd, 2014 at 10:36:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
It's kind of cool that there's no evidence of
god. The religious people really have to go
out on a limb, supporting a belief they can't
begin to prove. All of their evidence consists
of things people wrote down thousands of
years ago. Which would immediately be
thrown out of any court as hearsay..

Okay I did laugh out loud completely when I read this baloney. All the evidence for religious belief comes from the most attested to ancient writings in history, which the president lays his hand on when taking his oath? This is considered hearsay, come on bro?!? What about the fact that you and I and the world exist as evidence of a creator? What about billions of people testifying to their own personal experiences of God? All hearsay as well? The only idea without evidence or merit is that there is no God, now that is heresy.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 2nd, 2014 at 11:12:02 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
The only idea without evidence or merit is that there is no God, now that is heresy.

Freudian slip, eh, Father?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 3rd, 2014 at 12:28:05 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What about the fact that you and I and the world exist as evidence of a creator?

Why do you make me repeat this again
and again. You think you see a creation,
so you look for a creator. You make an
error in judgement, which leads to a
second error. You can't wrap your mind
around the idea that the universe has
always been here in one form or another,
and always will be.

This is because you think you see beginnings
and endings of things, when you're actually
seeing transformations into something else.
Not endings at all. Or beginnings either..

What you see is continuations. This is far easier
to understand and far easier to grasp then we're
all born in sin and need to be saved. But not
nearly as dramatic, and it certainly can't be
used as tool to control people, which is the
goal of every organized religion.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 3rd, 2014 at 4:32:13 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Why do you make me repeat this again
and again. You think you see a creation,
so you look for a creator. You make an
error in judgement, which leads to a
second error. You can't wrap your mind
around the idea that the universe has
always been here in one form or another,
and always will be.

This is because you think you see beginnings
and endings of things, when you're actually
seeing transformations into something else.
Not endings at all. Or beginnings either..

What you see is continuations. This is far easier
to understand and far easier to grasp then we're
all born in sin and need to be saved. But not
nearly as dramatic, and it certainly can't be
used as tool to control people, which is the
goal of every organized religion.

It sounds like you can't wrap your mind around the idea that the universe had a beginning and was created. You think you see stuff around us as eternally existing, but in the face of the science of the big bang, the ordinary human experience, rational philosophy and logic - can I ask why or how you come to that strange conclusion?

Let's not go into the Original Sin debate again here, re-read the posts over in that thread and again you will see that your position is the one that has no basis in reality.
Page 4 of 16<1234567>Last »