Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Bob, you are calling the remembrances of a 93 year old man

So why isn't the Vatican stating unequivocally
that the pope never said it? They're dancing
around it, just like you are. If he didn't say
it, have him come out and make a public
statement about hell.

Never gonna happen because he DID say it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 30th, 2018 at 11:40:54 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
So why isn't the Vatican stating unequivocally
that the pope never said it? They're dancing
around it, just like you are. If he didn't say
it, have him come out and make a public
statement about hell.

Never gonna happen because he DID say it.

I will wager anything at all that he did not say it. You name the amount of money or whatever you would like me to do and I will do it. However, when it is shown that the Pope did not say that there is no he'll then you have to read just one short book of my choosing. Anything you want vs. Reading a book all on the line if Pope Francis said there is no hell. Is it a bet?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 30th, 2018 at 1:08:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
I will wager anything at all that he did not say it.

Good grief. You're willing to believe
whole heartedly the gospel stories
that were told hundreds of times
before being written down, yet you
dismiss out of hand the word of
somebody who heard it first hand,
right from the horses mouth. You
are a very fickle person.

If he never said it, the Vatican will
deny it. Till then, he said it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 30th, 2018 at 1:27:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Look, I am very glad you trust so much in oral tradition and the personal testimony of others. I agree with you that it is a powerful way to communicate truth. I have no problem with that. What you need to take into consideration is the content of the message. As you know there were some made up very late Gospels that had Jesus killing little kids and other strange stuff and they were not taken as true because of their content. Look at the content and you can see it just doesn't fit.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 30th, 2018 at 2:14:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
What you need to take into consideration is the content of the message.

The content of the Vatican's message
is, yeah, he said it, he said there is no
hell, just not in the exact words that
were reported.

You can't read it any other way.
March 30th, 2018 at 6:29:19 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
What is continuing to happen here is people on all sides are believing only what they want to believe, disbelieving what they want to disbelieve, based on what they WANT the truth to be.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 30th, 2018 at 6:30:37 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Look, I am very glad you trust so much in oral tradition and the personal testimony of others. I agree with you that it is a powerful way to communicate truth. I have no problem with that. What you need to take into consideration is the content of the message. As you know there were some made up very late Gospels that had Jesus killing little kids and other strange stuff and they were not taken as true because of their content. Look at the content and you can see it just doesn't fit.

Yeah, this sums up what I said nicely. Oral tradition is just fine, as long as it says what you want it to say.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 30th, 2018 at 6:36:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
What is continuing to happen here is people on all sides are believing only what they want to believe, disbelieving what they want to disbelieve, based on what they WANT the truth to be.

Good summary. This is why we need objective ways to arrive at certain truths so that our beliefs have checks and balances to them. Logic, science, history, all have a part to play.

If over 2000 years of consistent teaching about something is clear through history than perhaps the rememberences of one 93 year old atheist might not be enough to base your belief on.
March 30th, 2018 at 6:55:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
If over 2000 years of consistent teaching about something is clear through history.

You really need to read more than just
the titles of Bart Ehrman's books. You
would learn so many really important
facts about your religion.
March 30th, 2018 at 8:08:51 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Dalex64

Sounds like the Pope and Trump elicit the same response in their supporters.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin