Pope Francis

May 27th, 2018 at 6:03:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
Maybe Hillary can become Pope solve everyone's problem.

Even if that comment made any sense, Hillary is a Methodist, at least what she puts on forms.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2018 at 6:38:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
If women haven't been making decisions for men and women from the top down in your church, how can they be equal?

No female pope, means it never happened yet.

If a woman has never been president, how can they be equal?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 27th, 2018 at 6:40:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
When you keep saying ridiculous things
like this, it just leaves me speechless.
You're a severely deluded lost cause that
I really don't want to waste my time on.

We have been down this road before and every time you know you are wrong you say something similar. The road you don't want to go down is the road to truth and the possibility of learning anything.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 27th, 2018 at 6:56:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble

Who said they were? You're problem is
you claim they are equal in the Church
when the obviously are not. Nobody
would argue with you if you just admitted
it. I might even respect you for once,
instead of thinking you a Kool Aid sipping
minion of the Vatican.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 27th, 2018 at 7:02:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The road you don't want to go down is the road to truth

Truth is a pathless land, you don't know
any roads that go there.

"Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. If you first understand that, then you will see how impossible it is to organize a belief. A belief is purely an individual matter, and you cannot and must not organize it. If you do, it becomes dead, crystallized; it becomes a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others."

J Krisnamurti, dissolving The Order of the Star of the East, 1929.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 27th, 2018 at 7:20:46 PM permalink
rxwine

The difference is women have been able to run for President for quite awhile now. How long have they been able to run for Pope?

Women have also held almost all the other political positions of power.

EDIT-- while I note that they have been in nearly all the offices of power, men still dominate the overall numbers for now anyway in the historical sense..
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2018 at 7:45:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
I guess my point is that just because no woman has ever been a priest or a pope doesn't mean that the Church think women are inferior not equal.

You would be able to make a better argument if you tired to point out policies or teachings that were discriminatory against women? Then you could say it was because no woman was a pope that the Church teaches so and so. You keep saying that just because there are no women priests this makes the Church discriminatory. That doesn't follow and isn't logical. Especially because we have talked about the historical precedent and the sacramental nature of the priesthood.
May 27th, 2018 at 7:55:26 PM permalink
rxwine
I guess my point is that just because no woman has ever been a priest or a pope doesn't mean that the Church think women are inferior not equal.

You would be able to make a better argument if you tired to point out policies or teachings that were discriminatory against women? Then you could say it was because no woman was a pope that the Church teaches so and so. You keep saying that just because there are no women priests this makes the Church discriminatory. That doesn't follow and isn't logical. Especially because we have talked about the historical precedent and the sacramental nature of the priesthood.

Catholic women have already done that job for me.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-womens-day-vatican/catholic-women-urge-pope-to-tear-down-churchs-walls-of-misogyny-idUSKCN1GK2JZ

Furthermore it's harder to quantify people who just decided to leave the church instead of fighting it. Shouldn't we assume they count as well?
May 27th, 2018 at 8:10:19 PM permalink
FrGamble
Again, the argument boils down to women want to be priests. I know married men that want to be priests. You need to point to some teaching of the Church that is against women or is discriminatory.
May 27th, 2018 at 8:25:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Again, the argument boils down to women want to be priests. I know married men that want to be priests. You need to point to some teaching of the Church that is against women or is discriminatory.

What's not discriminatory about saying someone can't do something because of their gender? That's the very definition of discrimination.

It's one thing to prove that someone's body cannot produce spermatozoa, but it's another thing to disqualify them on a whole host of things they can show you they can do perfectly well. And that is what discrimination is. It goes beyond what cannot be done to argue what should not be done.