Pope Francis

May 27th, 2018 at 8:45:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
What's not discriminatory about saying someone can't do something because of their gender? That's the very definition of discrimination.

So do you think that gender is not important to who we are? If you were casting a role for a male part would you not consider gender?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 27th, 2018 at 8:53:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: FrGamble
So do you think that gender is not important to who we are? If you were casting a role for a male part would you not consider gender?

You know, females in original Shakespearean theater were played by males not women.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2018 at 9:23:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
You know, females in original Shakespearean theater were played by males not women.

That's because women of that time had no
education and no status outside marriage.
It was illegal for women to act, it was a mans
job only, just like the priesthood. But society
eventually matured and changed, the priesthood
did not. They are still 400 years behind the
times.

The women's parts were played by young
boys who's voices hadn't changed yet.
I'm sure those boys were popular in the
Church also, given what we know about
young boys and the priesthood..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 28th, 2018 at 4:05:11 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Never has Church policy been the inferiority of women, that sounds more like Evenbob. The Church has and continues to teach for 2000 years the equality of women. Why do you think that because women can't be priests that makes them inferior? Are married men inferior to priests? No.

Maybe a big question for us to discuss is if equality means we all have to be able to do the same thing and have no diversity?

No, you have that backwards. I am not saying that because women can't be priests that they are inferior, I am saying that the church sees women as inferior and that is why they can not be priests. That is part of the content of the page I linked a few days ago.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 28th, 2018 at 4:08:45 AM permalink
Dalex64

This is once more the argument that men and women are different therefore women can't do X when X has nothing to do with the differences between men and women.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 28th, 2018 at 4:50:09 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
No, you have that backwards. I am not saying that because women can't be priests that they are inferior, I am saying that the church sees women as inferior and that is why they can not be priests. That is part of the content of the page I linked a few days ago.

And I am denying that the Church sees women as inferior. You'll have to excuse me if I got it backwards because it seems the only evidence you use to support your claim that the Church sees women as inferior is that they can't be priests. Maybe some other evidence of how the Church is particularly misogynist in its teaching would advance your outrageous claim.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 28th, 2018 at 4:51:42 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
This is once more the argument that men and women are different therefore women can't do X when X has nothing to do with the differences between men and women.

So a male role has nothing to do with being a man? Sacramentally representing the person of Christ has nothing to do with being a man?
May 28th, 2018 at 6:38:59 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Has anyone seen the Pope Francis movie yet?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 28th, 2018 at 9:33:58 AM permalink
Dalex64
And I am denying that the Church sees women as inferior. You'll have to excuse me if I got it backwards because it seems the only evidence you use to support your claim that the Church sees women as inferior is that they can't be priests. Maybe some other evidence of how the Church is particularly misogynist in its teaching would advance your outrageous claim.

Read again that which I linked to. It is a lot more than "woman can't be priests therefore the church sees them as inferior." It is the opposite - women are inferior and that is why they can not be priests.

I don't want to continue to litter the forum with this stuff, and all you do with it is dismiss it (oh, the opinion of THAT pope on THIS matter isn't important, oh, at that time the church didn't hold much power anyway so how important can that be?) But here is more.

Quote:
Church Law enshrined the inferiority of women
The presumed inferiority of women entered Church Law especially through the Decretum Gratiani (1140 AD), which became official Church law in 1234 AD, a vital part of the Corpus Iuris Canonici that was in force until 1916.

‘Woman’ signifies ‘weakness of mind’
In everything a wife is subject to her husband because of her state of servitude
Woman is not created in the image of God
Wives are subject to their husbands by nature
Women may not be given a liturgical office in the church
Women cannot become priests or deacons
Women may not teach in church
Women may not teach or baptize

http://www.womenpriests.org/traditio/inferior.asp

Note: "woman is not created in the image of God"

You basically label any uncomfortable policy which I point out was practice and policy at the time, as "Catholic in name only"

You agree that popes can be in error. Maybe Peter was in error when he declared that only a man can personify Jesus. I don't recall any transubstantiation in the Bible where Jesus said "with this blessing your flesh becomes my flesh, your blood becomes my blood" or any reason such a blessing, if it existed, could only be performed on men.
May 28th, 2018 at 9:35:34 AM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: Wizard
Has anyone seen the Pope Francis movie yet?

I have not, but he is getting the "Catholic in name only" treatment among some of my conservative Catholic friends.