Was Jesus God?

August 6th, 2016 at 11:53:06 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Well, you deity took another man's wife, which is adultery. He did it with his mother, which makes it incest. And he made it in such a way that no sane person could have possibly refused him, which makes it rape.

I'm flabbergasted that there is such misunderstanding out there. No wonder you are an atheist, is it willful ignorance? First of all any sane person not infused with god's grace would surely have refused. An unmarried pregnant woman is a dangerous thing to be in that time. What would and did people think of Mary? This is why the Angel asked her to participate and for her blessing. "Be it done unto me according to your will." is her answer. She could have refused, but thank God she did not.

Secondly, the title of Mother of God is something given to her after the birth of Jesus not before. I feel silly telling you this because obviously if you would have thought about it a little bit you would have realized this yourself.

Finally, you have sex on the brain. We are not talking about physical sex here but the miracle of conception without anything sexual, hence a virgin conceives?!? Again I am a little embarrassed to point this out to you. This is something that both Mary and Joseph recognize and understand.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 6th, 2016 at 12:25:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Come on, I love Billy Graham as much as the next guy, but at the same level as Peter, Paul or Joseph? .

My father in law, the 90 year old
Baptist minister, says Catholics
aren't even Christians because
of all your idol worship and how
you put Mary on an almost equal
level with Jesus. I understand that
50 years ago he taught about it
all the time. Now, at 90, he just
waves his hand and says you're
all going to hell.

Christians can be so entertaining.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 6th, 2016 at 12:28:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Of course we covered this. We also covered the many and huge differences between the pre-existing myths before Christ. They paint a very incomplete and many times very different picture .

More the same than different. Just variations
on the same theme. The Jesus myth is just
the continuation of the old virgin birth myths.
It's obvious if you study it and take it for
what it is, made up stories trying to make
sense of the world. That you think it's all real
is funny and frightening at the same time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 6th, 2016 at 12:42:14 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Mary did not choose, she was informed. Her answer was one of resignation to the inevitable.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 6th, 2016 at 1:55:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm flabbergasted that there is such misunderstanding out there.

Do you talk at or to the mirror when you say things like that?

Quote:
She could have refused, but thank God she did not.

Hey, did you see what Jehovah did to Job to prove a point? Would you refuse an omnipotent thug?

Quote:
Secondly, the title of Mother of God is something given to her after the birth of Jesus not before.

So?

Let's do the logic:

Jesus is God
God impregnated Mary with Jesus
Therefore God impregnated his own mother.

Either he's really sick, or someone told him to go f***k his mother and he took it too literally. Perhaps there's an unrecorded lost bet with Satan?

Quote:
Finally, you have sex on the brain.

We all do. It resides right there with talent, pride, ambition, thought, emotions and all that is spiritual.

Quote:
We are not talking about physical sex here but the miracle of conception without anything sexual, hence a virgin conceives?!?

So there was no sperm, no ovum and no embryo involved? Then what need for a mother?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 6th, 2016 at 2:46:01 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
"the modern scholarly consensus is that the doctrine of the virgin birth rests on a very slim historical foundation."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_birth_of_Jesus

How many of these Bible stories are backed by "fill in the blanks" evidence which supports the conclusions that they are trying to demonstrate?

One example is the perpetual virginity of Mary, all of the conjecture that is brought to bear regarding James the brother of Jesus, whether or not Joseph was previously married, and whether or not brother or bretheren refer to blood relatives, cousins, or just close family friends. The word twisting and conclusions arrived at hundreds of years later in some cases is astounding.
Each group has their own evidence and own conclusions, all filing in the gaps and selecting evidence as they see fit.

With everyone fulfilling their own agenda this way, it is impossible to know the truth and know what is just plain made up.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 7th, 2016 at 12:52:45 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
Mary did not choose, she was informed. Her answer was one of resignation to the inevitable.

Absolutely not true.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 7th, 2016 at 12:54:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
How many of these Bible stories are backed by "fill in the blanks" evidence which supports the conclusions that they are trying to demonstrate?

You don't understand authority and the living Tradition of the Church.
August 7th, 2016 at 1:07:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
You don't understand authority and the living Tradition of the Church.

This is babble-speak for making things
up as you go along. At least my in law
minister says he's goes only by what's
in the Bible, I have to respect him for
that.
August 7th, 2016 at 1:25:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
But the problem is that no where in the Bible does it say to do that, in fact in many places it says to look to the authority of the Church and its Tradition.