Simple question?

Thread Rating:

January 9th, 2016 at 2:11:20 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

I can certainly tall you none of that would make up for a single second of pain intentionally inflicted on my dog.

Pain intentionally inflicted on your dog is an evil that someone may choose to do. Would you rather that God removes our free will to ensure this never happens or rather bring some good out of this evil?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 9th, 2016 at 2:17:25 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
That's because it's unexplainable. In the old
'old days' before the printing press, the vast
majority of Catholic churches didn't even have
a hand translated Bible. The priests memorized
certain NT scripture as directed by the Pope,
and they had no idea what was in the rest of
the NT. They were told just enough to do
their jobs and not a word more. The penalty
was heavy if your church wasn't supposed to
have a hand written Bible and you were caught
with one.

Please stop! This is NOT true and I have shown you this is not true many times. First of all Churches themselves were illustrated Bibles with stained glass and works of art depicting Biblical stories so that even those who could not read were instructed in what the Scriptures said. The Priests were taught Latin and some like St. Jerome who lived in the first centuries of Christianity learned Greek and Hebrew so that the entire Bible could be translated. There was no limit on what Priest or lay people could read. Unofficial translations or interpretations were not allowed but there were many translations in the language of the people to read or to read in Latin. It is true that these books were extremely valuable and not common before the printing press. What you are saying is not historically true or valid and I wish you wouldn't keep repeating these falsehoods. I am not accusing you of lying, just that you have been taught untruths. Please learn about these things and stop perpetuating falsehoods and propaganda.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 9th, 2016 at 2:18:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine

Actually, that's my religious slogan and 1st commandment: "No proselytizing! That's the first good work."

Any religion that doesn't want to share what it has to say has nothing really valuable to say at all.
January 9th, 2016 at 2:25:32 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Pain intentionally inflicted on your dog is an evil that someone may choose to do. Would you rather that God removes our free will to ensure this never happens or rather bring some good out of this evil?

If an all powerful being cannot stop an evil act other than by removing someone's free will, then he's completely useless.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 9th, 2016 at 2:28:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Please stop! This is NOT true.

It's very much true, shall I go and find
the sources again? You only have one
source, whatever lies and distortions
the Vatican uses to rewrite history with.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 9th, 2016 at 2:33:52 PM permalink
Evenbob

You know I have said over and over that God the creator of the heavens and the earth comes down and becomes man suffers and dies for us and you just keep saying there was no real sacrifice and nothing was sacrificed. Why do you say this?

Because it's not a sacrifice, it's just a game
the god was playing in the myth. Gods play
these games in a lot of myths. God got
a woman pregnant, was born a man, did
his thing and went back to being a god
again. No sacrifice involved. You aren't
supposed to take it as something that
really happened, that's the road to insanity.
Myth's are meant to teach, not be taken
literally.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 9th, 2016 at 2:38:59 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Any religion that doesn't want to share what it has to say has nothing really valuable to say at all.

I really disagree with you on this, FrG. I think there's a place for religious discussion that usually would start with a seeker looking for enlightenment. And a place for living as an example of a better life, then helping others who wish to emulate through counsel. But no place for pushing your religion on unwilling "heathens", whether through subjugation, public display in secular contexts, or television pulpits. It's both a matter of respect for other people's beliefs and a matter of public etiquette, which have decayed badly over the last 40 years or so in the areas of both religion and politics.

It is possible that you and I disagree on the meaning of "proselytizing" within this discussion. Certainly, as a man of the cloth, I would not expect you to deny or diminish your faith. OTOH, in some ways you ask some of us to do so, not necessarily in a thread discussing it as you are being solicited to talk about it, but (for example) your withdrawal from the WoV forum due to religious pressure.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 9th, 2016 at 3:59:15 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
For Jesus to fulfill the law of God He must be one like us in all things, but sin.

Why?

Why couldn't he be like Adam before he ate from the tree? Isn't that like all of us, or did he have to be like all of us suffering all of the same penalties EXCEPT for original sin? I thought original sin was the cause of the penalties (such as why we had to till the earth). So if you remove original sin, he should have been just like Adam.

Why couldn't god just create him like us in all things but sin?

Then there would be no forcing of anything on anyone, or making a special person just to give birth to him.

Why make that person special, why not just have her give birth to him, and remove his sin, instead of removing her sin at birth?

And again, why not just make him like Adam, or some variation as required, out of swirling dust on the ground?

The story makes little sense. If we aren't supposed to take this literally either, then what is the metaphor, or the lesson?

Has anyone ever questioned why god brought jesus to us this way?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 9th, 2016 at 4:28:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Dalex64

Has anyone ever questioned why god brought jesus to us this way?

He didn't, it's a myth. Why was the
myth written this way? Tradition.
The virgin birth of a deity was
used many times before the Jesus
Myth.
January 9th, 2016 at 4:34:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Not true with religion or a lot of other things.

Just the other day, I watched this whole video of a guy visiting the Shaolin temple in China to learn from the monks there. They didn't go seek him out. I think people seek them out all the time in fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYOStHu9zsQ

(The title of video is not correct though)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?