First 100 Days of Trump

January 29th, 2017 at 9:55:05 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: kenarman
There are more Moose than Mooslems

Please call your Chamber of Commerce immediately. Grade-A town slogan XD

The refugees that are placed in small northern communities such as mine usually move to large centers in short order anyway. Human nature dictates that you want to live among people with a similar culture so most end up in the Moslem enclaves in the larger cities.

Hitting a number of provincial cities in the late nineties / early aughts, I did notice a shocking number/density of Arabic areas. I was of the age to not have preconceived prejudice, as the only conflict I knew was the cake walk of Desert Storm. Even still, I recall wondering where all the "locals" were whenever I went somewhere that wasn't Clifton Hill. No toques, all turbans. Was sort of surprising.

Lots of Canadians get upset, even about stuff that doesn't effect them. The 'have to be cool' Trump hating leftie crowd is having a demonstration in Hongcouver today. I am sure 95% of them have no idea what was actually signed and that most of it was already unofficially in place .

That's the best part of living in a segregated rural environment. The last big "rally" we had here created a Facebook group to develop an order and delivery system when a water main broke and forced us to go 3 towns over for the nearest Timmy Ho's. True story XD

It was ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as whatever the hell my generation thinks they're accomplishing. At least our Ho's rally made people happy =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 29th, 2017 at 10:37:35 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Face
forced us to go 3 towns over for the nearest Timmy Ho's. True story XD

Timmy Ho's, is that a brand of Canadian rent a girl?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 29th, 2017 at 11:51:56 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
Quote: RonC
Quote: ams288
Then why doesn't his ban cover countries where terrorists have actually come from like Saudi Arabia and UAE?

Oh that's right, cause Donald has business interests there.

Wrong.

Alternative facts.

Fake news.

Huh? You're saying Donald doesn't have business interests in the countries that were excluded from the EO (the ones where the 9/11 terrorists came from)?

You're the guy who is always crying about being unable to have substantive conversations on these boards. When you see something you don't like and just shout "fake news!" to try to silence the topic, you're contributing to the problem. Righties have been doing that far too much lately. Although the main perpetrator is on a 6 day sabbatical...

The reason I called it those things is that your side is acting like the President purposefully left off those other countries. You have likely not read the actual EO or the restraining order, you are just listening to the spin of your side. Read carefully:

"ALL of the countries had already been designated as countries of concern by the previous administration. Six are not even mentioned by name in the order. The only one specifically actually mentioned in the text of the order is Syria. The mention of Syria has to do with the previous administration's decision to let in refugees--that was suspended indefinitely."

THIS action was based on who the previous Democrat administration considered dangerous at this time. He took those countries and put them under a temporary entry ban. The administration did not say that no other country would be added at a later date; they just acted on the seven countries that were already identified as CURRENTLY posing the biggest threat.

That isn't to say that other countries don't pose a threat now or that some never posed a threat; that discussion is still under way. Those countries weren't identified by President Obama and his folks; suddenly they should have been because Trump may have business interests there. Why were those countries not listed by President Obama, who had no business interests in them?
January 29th, 2017 at 12:01:01 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: RonC

The reason I called it those things is that your side is acting like the President purposefully left off those other countries.

I'm perfectly willing to posit that the Orange Asshole left some countries off the list by mistake, being distracted by the compulsion to make a Twitter post about something that annoyed him. I doubt that he EVER "purposefully" does anything--he acts on impulse and has the attention span of a four-year-old.

The problems he ran into almost immediately with the order highlight that. If he had more carefully considered the wording of the order, he wouldn't have run into problems with its constitutionality. But it reads like it was written in five minutes.

I wonder in general why the Republinazis are in such a godawful hurry to crush democracy. They're in power and will stay there for the near future at least. Yet, the first thing the Republiholes do is to duck into a closet and decide to destroy the House ethics oversight committee. The first thing Trump does is to issue a series of badly worded and unconstitutional kingly edicts. I mean, really, guys, can't you even be competent DICTATORS? Sheesh!
January 29th, 2017 at 12:22:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Lots of Canadians get upset, even about stuff that doesn't effect them. The 'have to be cool' Trump hating leftie crowd is having a demonstration in Hongcouver today. I am sure 95% of them have no idea what was actually signed and that most of it was already unofficially in place .

This always amazes me, not just Canadians but since you made the example lets use it. Why do Canadians care so much? I will concede that in every way, the USA is almost always going to affect Canada more than Canada will the USA. But to most Americans Canada is a good neighbor, occasional place to visit, and home to Jennifer Jones. Unless you are involved with business or other ties to Canada at a high level, I really cannot think of much that would stir the average American to any action.

Immigration policy to changing the 2-line pass rule, it would all be seen as internal. Maybe some brief bar talk.

Is Trump really such a topic up there? Is American politics followed by the Average Canadian?
The President is a fink.
January 29th, 2017 at 12:33:32 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: stinkingliberal
I'm perfectly willing to posit that the Orange Asshole left some countries off the list by mistake

No mistake at all. He did not list any countries. He used Obama's list.
January 29th, 2017 at 1:43:34 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
This always amazes me, not just Canadians but since you made the example lets use it. Why do Canadians care so much? I will concede that in every way, the USA is almost always going to affect Canada more than Canada will the USA. But to most Americans Canada is a good neighbor, occasional place to visit, and home to Jennifer Jones. Unless you are involved with business or other ties to Canada at a high level, I really cannot think of much that would stir the average American to any action.

Immigration policy to changing the 2-line pass rule, it would all be seen as internal. Maybe some brief bar talk.

Is Trump really such a topic up there? Is American politics followed by the Average Canadian?

I have never seen an American presidential election create as much interest in Canada as when Trump was running. Originally it was all about how could such a horrid man even be considered. There is a good quote for Stinky to take out of context and throw at me. Most of our news is the same as the US MSM so the millennials and lefties are upset since their perceived world view is being challenged. There is also some possibly legitimate concern about what changes tearing up NAFTA might have on the Canadian economy.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 29th, 2017 at 1:59:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I have never seen an American presidential election create as much interest in Canada as when Trump was running. Originally it was all about how could such a horrid man even be considered. There is a good quote for Stinky to take out of context and throw at me. Most of our news is the same as the US MSM so the millennials and lefties are upset since their perceived world view is being challenged. There is also some possibly legitimate concern about what changes tearing up NAFTA might have on the Canadian economy.

Second part first, I don't see the US/NAFTA deal changing much since we had a free trade agreement before. There seems to be far more integration between US/Canada than either with Mexico. The auto industry being the best example. Though for whatever reason Canadians love Chrysler products more than here in the states.

Canada being to the left of the USA I can only imagine how much harder the millennial kids are taking things.
The President is a fink.
January 29th, 2017 at 7:04:29 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Trump's secret plan to defeat ISIS has finally been revealed and executed.

The plan: sign an executive order demanding that a comprehensive plan to defeat ISIS be delivered to his desk within 30 days.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 29th, 2017 at 9:14:40 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: AZDuffman

By all means. I think it was Pierre Trudeau who compared living next to the US to sleeping with an elephant--"no matter how friendly and even-tempered the beast, one is affected by every twitch and grunt." So Canadians are keenly interested in American politics and are very worried about Trump, for example, nuking Toronto because he pressed the wrong button and meant to order a latte.

Trump's crippling of the American economy might hurt the average Canadian more than the average American. We are the sole market for a LOT of Canada's goods. If we can't afford those goods because billionaire-friendly tax policy and massive deficits plunge us into a recession, than Canadians will suffer more than we will, as we, at least, can sell our stuff elsewhere. Oh, wait, Trump plans to destroy trade as well.

You have to remember, Duffy, that the US is a large country. Someone in Michigan or Maine may not be able to fathom why Trumpers get in such a tizzy about Mexicans, those criminals and rapists. Conversely, someone in Arizona may wonder why anybody cares about Canada. The fact of the matter is that the states on both our northern and southern borders experience a LOT of interaction with our respective neighbors.