2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

February 12th, 2018 at 12:25:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin
Obviously the coaches look at the potential value for the entire routine. While the points for the triple axel are very high, they have to balance that against the possibility of a fall. Although Tonya Harding completed the TA in competition, we don't know how often she fell in practice or even how many times she failed in competition.

Did Tonya get found innocent from the "leg breaking" incident in 94? It seems so weird to me with her being one of the commenters. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5257925/tonya-harding-knew-about-nancy-kerrigan-attack-plot/

I have immense admiration for these athletes that devote so much of their lives to a few minute routine. It irks me a bit when commenters criticize any part of a routine, where the athlete has practiced thousands of hours and lived for this moment.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 12th, 2018 at 1:32:50 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
Did Tonya get found innocent from the "leg breaking" incident in 94? It seems so weird to me with her being one of the commenters. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5257925/tonya-harding-knew-about-nancy-kerrigan-attack-plot/

I have immense admiration for these athletes that devote so much of their lives to a few minute routine. It irks me a bit when commenters criticize any part of a routine, where the athlete has practiced thousands of hours and lived for this moment.

The commenters understand and have been through it
They both said (Lipinski and Weir) how nervous they were when they 1st stepped on Olympic ice
Regardless, they need to call it as they see it
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 12th, 2018 at 1:59:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
And the Olympians turn down the million dollar prize, why?

Ninja Warrior has all kinds of athletes,
it's much better than any Olympic
event. And there are no judges, either
you finish the course in record time
or you don't. It's the only sporting
event I'll watch.

This is awe inspiring, the upper body
strength and coordination it takes
to make this look so easy when it's
actually so difficult.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2018 at 2:18:51 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I appears to me watching the mens downhill snowboarding competition, that doing wild and difficult maneuvers, [triple flips plus], that if they flub, they lose. So one wonders why they attempt such difficult maneuvers? It looks like the athletes either attempt those moves or lose. They may fall and lose, but the winners all so something really wild, that win. So the attempt has to be made, to do the supremely difficult.

Play it safe with no errors, and lose anyway, or go for the gold with incredibly hard maneuvers and maybe succeed?

You got to go for it
Red Gerrard went for it 3 times
He fell twice
Despite that, he went for the gold on his last run and nailed it
Great to see him last night getting awarded the gold with the Star Spangled Banner playing
Lovin the Olympics
Will be watching tonight :-)
USA USA USA
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 12th, 2018 at 2:55:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: terapined
I appears to me watching the mens downhill snowboarding competition, that doing wild and difficult maneuvers, [triple flips plus], that if they flub, they lose. So one wonders why they attempt such difficult maneuvers? It looks like the athletes either attempt those moves or lose. They may fall and lose, but the winners all so something really wild, that win. So the attempt has to be made, to do the supremely difficult.

Play it safe with no errors, and lose anyway, or go for the gold with incredibly hard maneuvers and maybe succeed?

You got to go for it
Red Gerrard went for it 3 times
He fell twice
Despite that, he went for the gold on his last run and nailed it
Great to see him last night getting awarded the gold with the Star Spangled Banner playing
Lovin the Olympics
Will be watching tonight :-)
USA USA USA
I can't imagine how wonderful that was for him, with his family all being there, : }.
February 12th, 2018 at 3:03:46 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Ninja Warrior has all kinds of athletes,...

I'm going to ask you nicely to quit hijacking this thread. Please make a new thread for Ninja Warriors to save me the trouble of splitting this thread. Thank you.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 12th, 2018 at 3:05:26 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
Ninja Warrior has all kinds of athletes,
it's much better than any Olympic
event.
This is definitely more athletic than the Luge.
February 12th, 2018 at 3:11:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Wizard
I'm going to ask you nicely to quit hijacking this thread. Please make a new thread for Ninja Warriors to save me the trouble of splitting this thread. Thank you.
Whoops, we were typing at the same time.
February 12th, 2018 at 3:13:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
This is definitely more athletic than the Luge.

I thought Luge was insane, then I saw 2-Man Luge.

2 days until Curling!
The President is a fink.
February 12th, 2018 at 3:17:37 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
You like curling, too?

I'm upset that the Canadian sports network TSN bought most of the rights to most of the sports in Canada. I only get CBC, and they have ended up with much less sports coverage.

For one thing that means less curling on television.

CBC still has lots of Olympics coverage, though. It is good to have more viewing choices.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan