Griner swap

August 13th, 2022 at 2:45:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I would phrase it slightly different. Do you prefer a president that you mostly disagree with their politics or a president that is a moron that you mostly agree with their politics?

I will take the non-moron every time.

That is why I voted for Trump. He is the kind of guy who before he does something he asks himself "would a moron do that" and if the answer is "yes" then he does not do that thing.
The President is a fink.
August 13th, 2022 at 9:47:05 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
That is why I voted for Trump. He is the kind of guy who before he does something he asks himself "would a moron do that" and if the answer is "yes" then he does not do that thing.

*spews coffee, cleans off 'puter screen*

You're treading on shaky ground with that claim; actually, Trump is to morons as the Pied Piper of Hamlin was to rats.
August 13th, 2022 at 10:51:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
*spews coffee, cleans off 'puter screen*

You're treading on shaky ground with that claim; actually, Trump is to morons as the Pied Piper of Hamlin was to rats.

Nothing shaky at all. Look at how much Trump has been proven right on. His record of foreign policy success alone is best since Reagan.

And Trump was the most libertarian POTUS of our time.
The President is a fink.
August 13th, 2022 at 11:59:30 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Too bad he's such a HORRIBLE specimen of a human being.

But hey, even Hitler liked little kids.
August 15th, 2022 at 7:04:39 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I just read an article on espn.com that says Griner's attornies are of course filing and appeal.

"Blagovolina and co-counsel Alexander Boykov said after the conviction that the sentence was excessive and that in similar cases defendants have received an average sentence of about five years, with about a third of them granted parole."

Wow, so it sounds like 5 years is a typical sentence for this crime.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 8th, 2022 at 6:54:47 AM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
Britney Griner was released today. I knew there was no way she would spend years in jail for this, especially since she is a very high profile Superstar in Basketball.
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
December 8th, 2022 at 9:16:41 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
If I needed another reason to dislike the Biden administration, this is one. Freeing ‘the merchant of death’ in a trade for a basketball player who made the stupid decision to use illegal drugs in Russia? Great precedent! It makes every US citizen more valuable to be kidnapped to be used as a trading pawn.
This was NOT like POW trades, which I would totally be in favor of, conceptually.

She is probably the best defensive player in WNBA history, so there is that…..
December 8th, 2022 at 9:25:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
If I needed another reason to dislike the Biden administration, this is one. Freeing ‘the merchant of death’ in a trade for a basketball player who made the stupid decision to use illegal drugs in Russia? Great precedent! It makes every US citizen more valuable to be kidnapped to be used as a trading pawn.
This was NOT like POW trades, which I would totally be in favor of, conceptually.

She is probably the best defensive player in WNBA history, so there is that…..

I'm ok with it
She was obviously a political pawn and punished way more harshly then normal.
One of the highest paid athletes in Russia to going to a gulag for a decade simply due to world politics rather then the offense itself

Kind of weird that pro Women's basketball is so popular overseas. I have to admit I just follow the Maryland women and not the pros
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 8th, 2022 at 11:07:23 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
I'm ok with it
She was obviously a political pawn and punished way more harshly then normal.

What is the normal punishment in Russia for that crime? I am not disputing that she probably get a harsher sentence, but I would like to know what Russian citizens get for that same crime.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 8th, 2022 at 12:38:45 PM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
What is the normal punishment in Russia for that crime? I am not disputing that she probably get a harsher sentence, but I would like to know what Russian citizens get for that same crime.

9 years in Prison. 😱
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.