December 9th, 2022 at 5:04:20 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: terapined
?????????????????
Money laundering ????????????????
You talking US IRS ?????????????
She plays in a Russian domestic league
How is money laundering conducted in a Russian league ?????????????
How is it done
It makes no sense
You have a source determining HOW this is done?
Are there videos of US players playing in front of empty arenas
Kristi Toliver from MD played in Russia
I dont think she played in empty gyms

Google it if you’re interested. I’m talking about the Russia domestic league, nothing to do with US. There’s not really much explanation for the money involved, it is suspected to be a front for the wealthy owners to wash money, articles have been written on it. There’s very little corporate sponsorships or advertisements with the leagues and tickets are reported to be very cheap. You know, the sort of things that are a source of a lot of gross revenue for professional sports leagues.

Fortune article from this summer titled “Brittney Griner’s detention, guilty plea, and the dark, dirty money history of pro women’s basketball in Russia.”
In the article after comparing WNBA salaries against somewhat higher Russian salaries “Where it gets complicated is there is no evidence that Russian Premier League is remotely as popular as the WNBA.”
December 9th, 2022 at 5:27:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rquiredusername
?????????????????
How is it done
It makes no sense

Google it if you’re interested. I’m talking about the Russia domestic league, nothing to do with US. There’s not really much explanation for the money involved, it is suspected to be a front for the wealthy owners to wash money, articles have been written on it. There’s very little corporate sponsorships or advertisements with the leagues, you know, the sort of things that are a source of a lot of gross revenue for professional sports leagues.

Fortune article from this summer titled “Brittney Griner’s detention, guilty plea, and the dark, dirty money history of pro women’s basketball in Russia.”
In the article after comparing WNBA salaries against somewhat higher Russian salaries “Where it gets complicated is there is no evidence that Russian Premier League is remotely as popular as the WNBA.”

WNBA is popular?????????????
Fortune magazine considers WNBA popular????????????????
Thats your source? ROTFL.
News to me and I follow NCAA Womens basketball
Women basketball players are not playing in empty gyms for just money laundering purposes
Its a sports business
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 9th, 2022 at 5:35:02 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Riverjordan
Burning the flag is considered a disrespectful INSULT to America, especially if you're an American! 😱 Even letting the flag touch the ground is considered a HUGE no no! 😱

Burning the flag is exactly a right given by what makes America great. I laugh at those that don't understand that.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 9th, 2022 at 5:38:15 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

LOL

How long will the league last when WNBA players request to be paid the same as their male counterparts?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 9th, 2022 at 5:43:17 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: DRich
LOL

How long will the league last when WNBA players request to be paid the same as their male counterparts?

I actually watch a lot of Womens basketball
Watched a whole game last week
Got to see my Maryland Womens Basketball team beat Notre Dame
That said
Ive never ever watched a WNBA game
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 9th, 2022 at 5:55:27 AM permalink
rquiredusername
?????????????????
How is it done
It makes no sense

Google it if you’re interested. I’m talking about the Russia domestic league, nothing to do with US. There’s not really much explanation for the money involved, it is suspected to be a front for the wealthy owners to wash money, articles have been written on it. There’s very little corporate sponsorships or advertisements with the leagues, you know, the sort of things that are a source of a lot of gross revenue for professional sports leagues.

Women basketball players are not playing in empty gyms for just money laundering purposes
Its a sports business

You refused to read the article and don’t want to believe it, I get it. Like I’ve said before, you’re NOT open minded. You’ve decided it what must be true, they must be popular there because they get paid.

There’s multiple articles within that article linked from ESPN as well. Is ESPN not a relevant source for sports related news? I didn’t say the WNBA was popular, neither did the article….just more of you moving goalposts. The point is this Russian pro league is even LESS popular.

The two explanations given are either money laundering or partially sponsored by the government as a form of advertising. In either circumstance there is little evidence these leagues are profitable. Where’s your evidence or sources that they are beyond the mere existence of the leagues? Where’s the revenue to support the league coming from?
December 9th, 2022 at 7:14:39 AM permalink
terapined
?????????????????
How is it done
It makes no sense

Its a sports business

You refused to read the article and don’t want to believe it, I get it. Like I’ve said before, you’re NOT open minded. You’ve decided it what must be true, they must be popular there because they get paid.

There’s multiple articles within that article linked from ESPN as well. Is ESPN not a relevant source for sports related news? I didn’t say the WNBA was popular, neither did the article….just more of you moving goalposts. The point is this Russian pro league is even LESS popular.

The two explanations given are either money laundering or partially sponsored by the government as a form of advertising. In either circumstance there is little evidence these leagues are profitable. Where’s your evidence or sources that they are beyond the mere existence of the leagues? Where’s the revenue to support the league coming from?

I actually read this crummy article
I read a lot of articles regarding Womens basketball
This has got to be the worst article I have seen on Womens basketball in my entire life
Another reporter went to a Greiner game 7 years ago
1 game 7 years ago is the big scoop and proof
How about a report from games played recently.
How about a year ago
How about 2 years ago
They cant afford to send a reporter to a Russian Womens basketball game???????????????????
nope, Fortune goes in the 7 year way back machine to describe Russian Womens basketball
This is one of the worst articles I have ever read
Cant believe a Fortune editor approved this crap
Shows how much Fortune has fallen
No wonder I never check their web site.
December 9th, 2022 at 7:42:53 AM permalink
rquiredusername
?????????????????
How is it done
It makes no sense

Its a sports business

This has got to be the worst article I have seen on Womens basketball in my entire life
How about a year ago
How about 2 years ago
They cant afford to send a reporter to a Russian Womens basketball game???????????????????
nope, Fortune goes in the 7 year way back machine to describe Russian Womens basketball

“Why didn’t they send someone to cover Russian basketball during peak Covid restrictions.” Terapined
December 9th, 2022 at 8:51:06 AM permalink
terapined
?????????????????
How is it done
It makes no sense

Its a sports business

How about a year ago
How about 2 years ago

“Why didn’t they send someone to cover Russian basketball during peak Covid restrictions.” Terapined

A story using somebody else's experience at a game way back in 2016 is just poor reporting.
Why not interview somebody who has been to a recent game????????????
Seems pretty easy to me
Plenty of European sports reporters, fans, scout's, and of course American players that speak English that played there recently :-)
Why go with a 2016 report???????? Talk about lazy. Shockingly lazy. Like I said. One of the worst reporting articles I have ever read in my life.
December 9th, 2022 at 9:08:54 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Getting back to the subject…..

An American citizen was arrested and convicted in Russia for breaking a Russian law. I don’t even think Griner or our Biden administration disputes this. She was sentenced to 9 years which is apparently within the judge’s discretion in Russia where she committed the crime.

We had in custody, a man so bad he has been nicknamed ‘Merchant of Death’. He has 15 years left on his prison sentence. We used an intricate multi-national operation to ensnare him and extradite him and convict him.

We granted this man of evil his freedom for her freedom. Left out of my diatribe is the obvious fact that she was used by Russia as a pawn. We let them win. I’m sure they will use this blueprint again. Now that Biden caved, why wouldn’t they?