Griner swap

December 8th, 2022 at 3:12:36 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
At least she may be willing to stand for the National Anthem now that the U.S. expended a massive strategic recourse to free her, but I will not hold my breath.....
December 8th, 2022 at 3:42:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think the other American is probably a real American spy. We lock spies up here for quite a while, so can't really begrudge Russia or any other county if they do the same.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 8th, 2022 at 4:16:20 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
At least she may be willing to stand for the National Anthem now that the U.S. expended a massive strategic recourse to free her, but I will not hold my breath.....

What makes this country great is that you dont have to stand for the anthem
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 8th, 2022 at 4:19:36 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: terapined
I'm ok with it
She was obviously a political pawn and punished way more harshly then normal.
One of the highest paid athletes in Russia to going to a gulag for a decade simply due to world politics rather then the offense itself

Kind of weird that pro Women's basketball is so popular overseas. I have to admit I just follow the Maryland women and not the pros

It’s actually really not that popular overseas. Those gyms aren’t packed. It’s a vehicle for rich Russians money laundering.

If anything more evidence towards the politics, no need for US basketball players with the war going on.
December 8th, 2022 at 5:34:35 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
I think the other American is probably a real American spy. We lock spies up here for quite a while, so can't really begrudge Russia or any other county if they do the same.

I would guess he was a spy also.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 8th, 2022 at 5:37:02 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
What makes this country great is that you dont have to stand for the anthem

Absolutely. What I find ironic is when people are burning an American flag others call them un-American when they are truly doing one of the most American things by burning the flag.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 8th, 2022 at 5:51:51 PM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
Absolutely. What I find ironic is when people are burning an American flag others call them un-American when they are truly doing one of the most American things by burning the flag.

Burning the flag is considered a disrespectful INSULT to America, especially if you're an American! 😱 Even letting the flag touch the ground is considered a HUGE no no! 😱
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
December 8th, 2022 at 5:56:49 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Riverjordan
Burning the flag is considered a disrespectful INSULT to America, especially if you're an American! 😱 Even letting the flag touch the ground is considered a HUGE no no! 😱

but
its not against the law :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 8th, 2022 at 6:07:00 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: rquiredusername
It’s actually really not that popular overseas. Those gyms aren’t packed. It’s a vehicle for rich Russians money laundering.

If anything more evidence towards the politics, no need for US basketball players with the war going on.

?????????????????
Money laundering ????????????????
You talking US IRS ?????????????
She plays in a Russian domestic league
How is money laundering conducted in a Russian league ?????????????
How is it done
It makes no sense
You have a source determining HOW this is done?
Are there videos of US players playing in front of empty arenas
Kristi Toliver from MD played in Russia
I dont think she played in empty gyms
December 8th, 2022 at 6:41:04 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
I'm ok with it
She was obviously a political pawn and punished way more harshly then normal.
One of the highest paid athletes in Russia to going to a gulag for a decade simply due to world politics rather then the offense itself

Kind of weird that pro Women's basketball is so popular overseas. I have to admit I just follow the Maryland women and not the pros

I’m not thrilled with the swap but I would have made the deal. Bout has served 10 years of his 25 year sentence. He was convicted of selling heavy weapons to FARC rebels in Colombia. They have now been forgiven and many of the rebels are now in the government. I’d rather he serve the rest but it doesn’t seem so unjust.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.