Cooking thread

December 29th, 2016 at 12:05:41 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
because bacon is best baked in an oven.
Only if baked at a fairly low temperature.
January 2nd, 2017 at 3:52:04 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I did the beef patties (not burgers) wrapped in bacon. No sauce on top, but I mixed, pepper, mustard and fine herbs with the beef. On the side I made potatoes with a mix of yogurt, cottage cheese and garlic for a sauce, with cheddar on top.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 14th, 2017 at 7:02:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
Defrost it overnight in the fridge. If you have a good micro with a defrost setting, that will work. I prefer overnight.
Thank you, I tried overnight in the refrigerator and it was still rather much like an iceberg with hamburger meat on top. So I tried the 'timed defrost' setting since package just fit in the micowave and it was fine after about ten minutes of defrost.

I put it in a bowl and alternated handfulls of ground beef with handfulls of rolled oats, added a jar of spaghetti sauce with basil, pepper and lemon salt with a bit of cumin and a brick of Pepper Jack cheese.

Worked out just fine. Absorbed all the grease stayed pretty much in loaf form and didn't get too dry or charred. I was very satisfied with it but won't be looking for any chef gigs just yet. Could have done with more tomato for a topping but I thought a whole nother jar would be over kill.
January 16th, 2017 at 6:52:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Turkey leftovers cut into bite-sized pieces.
One can cream of mushroom soup.
3 Tbsp. cottage cheese
3 Tbsp. unsweetened yogurt
2 cloves of garlic, quartered
1 large onion thinly sliced
1 bell pepper thinly sliced
1/8 (or so) green cabbage thinly sliced
ground black pepper
Cheese to taste.

In a blender mix the soup, cottage cheese, yogurt and garlic. In a large pan, stir fry the onion, bell pepper and cabbage until they're very soft, add black pepper while cooking them. On a baking dish place the turkey, covered with the vegetables, and pour the blended sauce on top. Add grated cheese to taste, and place in the oven at around 170 C about 20 minutes.
January 19th, 2017 at 12:16:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Fleastiff
For instance... is cabbage and lettuce the same thing? If not, how can I cook cabbage and beef with only a microwave or oven but no rangetop or frying pan.
Cabbage is 49 down from 79. I don't know if its per head or per pound. Pound I think. Anything I do via microwave or oven with cabbage? I do have a very small slow cooker that I can use if I get really and truly desperate, but if I use it I will have to eventually wash it.
January 19th, 2017 at 2:12:20 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
Cabbage is 49 down from 79. I don't know if its per head or per pound. Pound I think. Anything I do via microwave or oven with cabbage? I do have a very small slow cooker that I can use if I get really and truly desperate, but if I use it I will have to eventually wash it.
Shred the cabbage, layer in pan dot with butter salt and pepper, repeat three more layers. pour some milk over all. Place in oven at 350. Bake until nice and soft. Eat.
January 19th, 2017 at 4:24:02 PM permalink
Nareed
I'm thinking a vegetarian stuffed cabbage, with white beans, lentils, rice and chickpeas for the filling. I'd use cumin, cinnamon and perhaps a microscopic pinch of cloves mixed with only a little tomato sauce. Over the leaves I'd put more sauce mixed with sautéed onions and garlic. I'm thinking of mashing the beans and chickpeas before mixing. Hm. Maybe some sautéed cauliflower as well?
January 20th, 2017 at 3:18:31 PM permalink
Nareed
I really like the stuffed cabbage idea, but most methods involve boiling the leaves to soften them. Nothing kills flavor better than boiling. That's why I seldom remove anything from a soup other than bay leaves.

More research is required. Maybe I can bake the leaves.
January 24th, 2017 at 6:34:39 AM permalink
Nareed
The stuffed cabbage went rather well. I did boil the leaves, and they weren't bad at all (though I think a different method would preserve more flavor; I just can't think of one that would work well). I'm missing some spice, though.

The good news is I made way to much filling, or had too few leaves. So I froze the extra filling, and I'll get a bigger piece of cabbage next week.

For the sauce I used tomato puree, zatar, cinnamon, pepper and thyme. The filling was made up of white beans and chickpeas mashed together, with rice and a bit of sauce mixed in. I just rolled up the leaves and poured sauce on them. Then heat them in the microwave prior to lunch. If I were serving them at once, I'd put them in the oven 15 minutes.
January 24th, 2017 at 8:39:40 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Nareed
The stuffed cabbage went rather well. I did boil the leaves, and they weren't bad at all (though I think a different method would preserve more flavor; I just can't think of one that would work well). I'm missing some spice, though.

The good news is I made way to much filling, or had too few leaves. So I froze the extra filling, and I'll get a bigger piece of cabbage next week.

For the sauce I used tomato puree, zatar, cinnamon, pepper and thyme. The filling was made up of white beans and chickpeas mashed together, with rice and a bit of sauce mixed in. I just rolled up the leaves and poured sauce on them. Then heat them in the microwave prior to lunch. If I were serving them at once, I'd put them in the oven 15 minutes.
Try just blanching the leaves, stuff, cover with sauce and then bake.