What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

September 4th, 2017 at 7:00:55 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Slow your roll Bob and go to a religious thread so you don't scare everyone off this thread. You need to be excorcised because you terrorize these threads with your irrational, incorrect, hate mongering of the Church. I don't know if I should even respond to you when you say such stupid things as the Church treats the mentally ill as if they are possessed. It shows a level of willful ignorance I just don't think I can dent. Suffice it to say most cases of "demonic possession" may very well be psychiatric disorders. However, there are cases, a growing number of which, that are truly demonic and can be proven to be so with evidence such as people climbing walls, speaking unknown languages, contorting themselves unnaturally, knowledge they could not humanly know, etc. Also please remember that before exorcism can even be considered psychologists and doctors must be consulted.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 4th, 2017 at 7:35:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
FrG, do you really think sane rational people
think demon possession is real and not a
mental illness acting itself out for a willing
audience?

Do you think rational people believe in reincarnation?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 4th, 2017 at 7:38:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
However, there are cases, a growing number of which, that are truly demonic .

Pure bulloney, you can't prove any of it
so it's just another 'prove I'm wrong'
situation. Demons are in your imagination,
not in the real world.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 4th, 2017 at 7:41:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
Do you think rational people believe in reincarnation?

Which kind of reincarnation? The kind where
you think you were Napoleon in another life,
or the kind where a 3 year old remembers a
past life and it's proven beyond doubt that
his memories are accurate and that person
existed.

All this discussion belongs in it's own thread,
not the movie thread.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 4th, 2017 at 8:53:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Which kind of reincarnation? The kind where
you think you were Napoleon in another life,
or the kind where a 3 year old remembers a
past life and it's proven beyond doubt that
his memories are accurate and that person
existed.

It is funny how people like Shirley McClain recount their past lives it is always people of historical significance. I'm all ears to the evidence to the contrary other than "search it yourself." For now, I put it on about the same level as demonic possession.

Quote:
All this discussion belongs in it's own thread,
not the movie thread.

Agreed.

P.S. Dennis Kucinich saw a UFO.
September 4th, 2017 at 10:01:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
It is funny how people like Shirley McClain recount their past lives it is always people of historical significance. .

She's an idiot.
September 6th, 2017 at 5:31:45 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
IT is currently sitting at 90% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes.

Pretty stellar for a horror movie!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 6th, 2017 at 6:20:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Just finished watching the Sheltering Sky. I mostly saw it because John Malkovich, who not only is one of my favorite actors but most (but not all) his movies I find very good. Before going further, here is the preview:

Normally I don't care for artsy movies like this without a strong plot. However, I liked this one. It is hard not to like any scene with Malkovich. I don't want to give away any spoilers but I'll just say he wasn't in the second half of the movie, but by that point I was involved and wanted to see what would happen next.

I do have a complaint is that the movie ended without a strong sense of closure. It began about as arbitrarily as it ended.

I will give the movie high props for the cinematography. You feel like you've spent a year in and around Morocco by the end of the movie. It makes me want to go there for myself -- although I've heard mixed things by people who have been there.
September 6th, 2017 at 7:13:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I mostly saw it because John Malkovich,

The only movie with him I recall seeing is "Being John Malkovich."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 6th, 2017 at 7:28:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Just finished watching the Sheltering Sky. I mostly saw it because John Malkovich, who not only is one of my favorite actors but most (but not all) his movies I find very good.

Malkovich is a brilliant actor. Although it was once common, he is from that rare group that spent their 20's mostly in theater and graduated to movies. Kenneth Branagh also grew up primarily in theater, but in his late 20's he did a BBC miniseries that reminds me a lot of Sheltering Sky.

Sheltering Sky was written in 1949 based on a trip in the early 1930's. Fortunes of war was a series of half a dozen novels written between 1960 ad 1980, so the sensibility is a little more modern.

Fortunes of War (1987)
http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/1071284/index.html