Original Sin?

June 13th, 2017 at 2:30:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
My jaw is on he floor reading this. My hypocrite meter has burst and I am just flabbergasted that you would say this.

I have no need for forgiveness from anyone,
if you have a hypocrite meter it's going off
about you, not me.

[q[Seriously, you should check yourself in somewhere for observation. Good luck.

They have clinics for people who don't
buy into the bullcrap of organized religion?
Where, I've never heard of them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 13th, 2017 at 4:07:50 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Dalex64
What about working on Sunday? 3rd commandment? Sin?

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a3.htm
It's a sin for those (Jews) that are under the Law. And it is Saturday not sunday.
June 13th, 2017 at 7:03:29 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: pew
It's a sin for those (Jews) that are under the Law. And it is Saturday not sunday.

You might notice that I linked to the Catholic chatecism, which is a discussion of the 3rd commandment with the Catholic modification to Sunday.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 14th, 2017 at 4:20:48 AM permalink
pew
You might notice that I linked to the Catholic chatecism, which is a discussion of the 3rd commandment with the Catholic modification to Sunday.
That's irrelevant. You brought up the sabbath which is Saturday not Sunday. Catholics are not under the Law so they can do what they want. Sunday worship has nothing to do with the seventh day sabbath.
June 14th, 2017 at 4:39:17 AM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: pew
That's irrelevant. You brought up the sabbath which is Saturday not Sunday. Catholics are not under the Law so they can do what they want. Sunday worship has nothing to do with the seventh day sabbath.

I will quote what I said. Working on Sunday, with a link to the catholic catechism discussing the third commandment.

What about working on Sunday? 3rd commandment? Sin?

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a3.htm

How is that not relevant to catholics?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 14th, 2017 at 4:53:31 AM permalink
pew
I will quote what I said. Working on Sunday, with a link to the catholic catechism discussing the third commandment.

How is that not relevant?
The third commandment doesn't apply to the Catholic or any other Christian denomination. It only applies to those Jews that are under the Law. If you want to work on Sunday or Saturday you have liberty to do so. If you want to be under the constraints of a particular church rule you are free to do so. The Catholic church is not the Christian church. Discussing Catholic doctrine is not discussing Christianity.
June 14th, 2017 at 4:55:43 AM permalink
pew
The thread was original sin. Not "the Catholic view of original sin."
June 14th, 2017 at 5:29:23 AM permalink
Dalex64
Since FrGamble started this thread, and original sin is a concept invented by the Catholic Church, I think it is about the Catholic view of original sin.

For the most part, I have been discussing the Catholic views, since we have an expert here representing those views. It is usually fruitless to have the ignorant arguing with the ignorant on a topic.

That is why when I have had questions about those things, I have usually used Catholic sources to base my questions on.

So to be clear, I am not talking about Jews or Christians. I am asking about the third commandment, the Catholic view that the commandments are still obligatory, the Catholic interpretation of the 3rd commandment, how sinful it is to violate their interpretation of the third commandment, and what they are doing about it.

Here are some of the Catholic source materials that I used to form these questions.

2068 The Council of Trent teaches that the Ten Commandments are obligatory for Christians and that the justified man is still bound to keep them; the Second Vatican Council confirms: 'The bishops, successors of the apostles, receive from the Lord ... the mission of teaching all peoples, and of preaching the Gospel to every creature, so that all men may attain salvation through faith, Baptism and the observance of the Commandments.'

2070. The Ten Commandments belong to God's revelation. At the same time they teach us the true humanity of man. They bring to light the essential duties, and therefore, indirectly, the fundamental rights inherent in the nature of the human person. The Decalogue contains a privileged expression of the natural law: "From the beginning, God had implanted in the heart of man the precepts of the natural law. Then he was content to remind him of them. This was the Decalogue"

2072. Since they express man's fundamental duties towards God and towards his neighbour, the Ten Commandments reveal, in their primordial content, grave obligations. They are fundamentally immutable, and they oblige always and everywhere. No one can dispense from them. The Ten Commandments are engraved by God in the human heart.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord's Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.
June 14th, 2017 at 5:32:27 AM permalink
Dalex64
FrGamble, does the 3rd commandment apply to Catholics?
June 14th, 2017 at 6:54:18 AM permalink
pew
O.K. I didn't think he was asking about what Catholics think about original sin. Carry on.