Original Sin?

February 2nd, 2018 at 9:37:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
You really are never very helpful in these discussions, do you know that?

No no, my comment made as much
sense as yours did. You said we'll
never understand how a supreme
being is eternal. Because all supreme
beings are myths, I simply replied
about another myth. I used a myth
to counter your myth..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 3rd, 2018 at 7:27:46 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I love your hope and faith in science, it puts my faith in God to shame. You seem to think that eventually science will discover all these amazing things and even find a way to examine, test, and observe non-contingent supernatural spiritual beings.

I'll just stop with this part.

I do NOT have faith that science will do any of that, in fact, I believe we will never know and can never know.

The difference between us is actually that you believe that you DO know and I believe that we CAN NOT know.

Furthermore, I believe god(s) are a completely human invention, the philosophy and lessons completely human in origin, and like I have now said many times there is no evidence to show that any of those god(s) had anything to do with the origin of all that exists.

Since I believe gods and religions that people do and have believed in are completely human in origin, I believe that they can not have had anything to do with the origin of all that exists.

Maybe there was a different god or gods responsible, but if they were, I don't think what people believe in now are them.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 3rd, 2018 at 11:33:20 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Dalex64
Furthermore, I believe god(s) are a completely human invention

Yup, 100% correct. It's why Joseph
Campbell made it his life's work to
study the gods created by different
cultures. We create the gods and then
breathe life into them, not the other
way around..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 3rd, 2018 at 12:30:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

I do NOT have faith that science will do any of that, in fact, I believe we will never know and can never know.

The difference between us is actually that you believe that you DO know and I believe that we CAN NOT know.

Nope, you are skipping an important point. The main difference between us is NOT that I believe I do know but rather that I believe we CAN know. You believe that in the midst of all this amazing knowledge and our ability to understand so much you think that no matter what we are unable to know that we CAN NOT know. That seems fatalistic to us and a torture. Why would we be able to understand so much and all be excited by our growth of knowledge but ultimately be destined to grope in the darkness. The main difference is I believe that we CAN know and you believe that we CAN NOT know. That is a huge distinction and one you should not gloss over.

How I have come to the belief that I DO know is another interesting question. How you have come to the conclusion that you DO know that all religions and concepts of God are human inventions would be another interesting question. The big question though for you is if you want to hold to your belief that we CAN NOT know no matter how hard we try anything about God and that all our efforts are simply human inventions? Is that what you truly hold and how do you reconcile that with the fact that you seem to know a lot about what God is not, which is another type of knowledge you seem certain of concerning God?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 3rd, 2018 at 12:55:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
How you have come to the conclusion that you DO know that all religions and concepts of God are human inventions would be another interesting question.

There is zero confirmation that gods
come from anyplace other than our
imaginations. That we invent them
is obvious.
February 3rd, 2018 at 1:21:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
There is zero confirmation that gods
come from anyplace other than our
imaginations. That we invent them
is obvious.

How do you differentiate from imagining and discovering or learning?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 3rd, 2018 at 1:29:43 PM permalink
Dalex64
My knowledge of what "god is not" is simply that I don't believe that anyone knows what god is.

That is not the same thing as saying "god is not this" or "god is not that" so do don't misunderstand me or try to make it sound like I believe I know what god is or is not, if anything.

If you fear and dispair a world without your religion as fatalistic or tortuous, or somehow unfulfilling if we just "end" when we die, that is on you, not me. It doesn't bother me, it doesn't bother a lot of people. You should stop projecting your beliefs and fears on to other people, and stop thinking you know how I feel or express disbelief that I can possibly believe what I do.

Argument from incredulity is another one of those big logical fallacies.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 3rd, 2018 at 1:30:56 PM permalink
Dalex64
How do you differentiate from imagining and discovering or learning?

Discovering has evidence. Without it, it is just a thought experiment, wishful thinking, or faith.
February 3rd, 2018 at 4:48:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Discovering has evidence. Without it, it is just a thought experiment, wishful thinking, or faith.

I was watching Cosmos last night
and heard something similar. Science
loves to say "I don't know" because
it gives them incentive to keep discovering.
Religion loves to express itself in axioms
so it can stop looking and stop discovering.
Doing that might prove them wrong.
February 3rd, 2018 at 5:03:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
I was watching Cosmos last night
and heard something similar.
We are watching that series now. When we are done, I will at some time play it again.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW