Pet Peeves

February 15th, 2022 at 11:31:17 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
"Please listen carefully because our menu items have changed".

BULLSPIT The phone menu items have been the same for years.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 15th, 2022 at 4:27:52 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
"Please listen carefully because our menu items have changed".

BULLSPIT The phone menu items have been the same for years.

Saw this band a few years back. Very original sound.
Reminds me of "Evan finds the third room"
About 3:30 in the video, the menu options
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 16th, 2022 at 4:40:15 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
There is a ‘Vita Fusion’ ad that plays repeatedly on many TV shows my wife watches. The character is saying something probably will happen. Except she says ‘prolly’ instead of probably. You may make out a hint of the first ‘b’, but certainly no second ‘b’. I didn’t think probably was hard to pronounce.

Prolly is listed as an informal word meaning probably. I hate it.
February 16th, 2022 at 4:43:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
There is a ‘Vita Fusion’ ad that plays repeatedly on many TV shows my wife watches. The character is saying something probably will happen. Except she says ‘prolly’ instead of probably. You may make out a hint of the first ‘b’, but certainly no second ‘b’. I didn’t think probably was hard to pronounce.

Prolly is listed as an informal word meaning probably. I hate it.

I worked next to a girl who pronounced "breakfast" as "brefast." She knew she did it wrong, kept doing it. No idea what that is an accent from. Heard nothing like it since hearing people calling hamburgers "steamed hams" in Albany.
The President is a fink.
February 16th, 2022 at 12:42:49 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
My ex, from a logger family, pronounced "hamburger" as "hamgurber:" she still does.
February 19th, 2022 at 5:40:43 AM permalink
Mooseton
Threads: 0
Updates again… I updated my iPhone and now none of the videos here on DT display.
February 19th, 2022 at 6:57:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mooseton
Updates again… I updated my iPhone and now none of the videos here on DT display.

That's not an update
It's a downdate
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 21st, 2022 at 9:00:33 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Apparently there was first ‘non-binary’ Olympian. He is a gay male pairs figure skater. The articles about him use the pronoun ‘they’ instead of him, ‘theirs’ instead of his. It becomes confusing as it is hard to figure out when ‘they’ refers to him alone or he and his skating partner. Why couldn’t a new pronoun have been invented rather than misuse a previously existing plural?
February 21st, 2022 at 11:38:48 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Apparently there was first ‘non-binary’ Olympian...Why couldn’t a new pronoun have been invented rather than misuse a previously existing plural?

My vote: "It."
February 21st, 2022 at 2:24:38 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Apparently there was first ‘non-binary’ Olympian. He is a gay male pairs figure skater. The articles about him use the pronoun ‘they’ instead of him, ‘theirs’ instead of his. It becomes confusing as it is hard to figure out when ‘they’ refers to him alone or he and his skating partner. Why couldn’t a new pronoun have been invented rather than misuse a previously existing plural?

Better yet, why can't we follow the science and acknowledge there is no such thing as "non-binary gender."
The President is a fink.