No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

January 3rd, 2023 at 7:10:21 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Its the Qnon effect
There is no common sense among these extremists.
Just look at Kenarman in the virus thread
They believe the absurd and stick to their guns.
There is no reasoning with these people.

If we could get rid of the right most 20% and the left most 20% we would probably have a much better country
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 3rd, 2023 at 8:13:27 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
If we could get rid of the right most 20% and the left most 20% we would probably have a much better country

Great idea but who gets to decide if you are a 20%er or do you just self declare?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 3rd, 2023 at 8:50:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Great idea but who gets to decide if you are a 20%er or do you just self declare?

Easy
On the right, Qnon believers = extremists
On the left, reparations believers = extremists
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 4th, 2023 at 5:14:32 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: kenarman

Clearly, just let me decide.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 4th, 2023 at 10:33:15 AM permalink
terapined
Kevin McCarthy just lost a 4th vote
lol
The right cant agree to govern
5th time the charm?????????
This is the effects of letting Trump and the crazy MAGA'S into the party
There used to be a time back in the day when the republican party kept their distance from the John Birch society
Now the republican party is pretty much the John Birch society unable to govern due to seething hatred
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 5th, 2023 at 2:41:09 AM permalink
terapined
We never had this chaos when I was Speaker of the House - George Santos

January 5th, 2023 at 5:17:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The Onion's take on McCarthy's effort at concessions.

Quote:
In an effort to garner their support and become Speaker of the House, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) assured his skeptical GOP colleagues Tuesday that he shared their vision of innocents drowning in oceans of blood. “While I hear your concerns and am prepared to make a long list of concessions in exchange for your support, at the end of the day, we all want to joyously stomp on the necks of hardworking Americans as they pathetically cry out for a mercy that shall never come,” the California lawmaker said in an impassioned plea to House Republicans, responding to criticism from far-right members of his party who argue he no longer represents the values of those focused on littering this country from coast to coast with the gory entrails of its docile populace. “We cannot let petty differences get in the way of what could be our most grisly era of violent brutality yet—not while there remains significant common ground on our big-picture goals of every street running red with the sputtering viscera of innocent women and children. I mean, certainly my record of damning my constituents to a life of unparalleled pain and suffering counts for something. Meanwhile, this infighting remains a useless distraction keeping us from slowly drawing our knives across the necks of ordinary Americans and letting the streams of gushing blood spill into our hands until a red tsunami washes away everything in a wave of ferocious splendor. Frankly, I cannot idly stand by as innocent people live to see another day. Can you?” At press time, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) said he would rather see Democrat Hakeem Jeffries take control of the House than someone as soft as McCarthy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 5th, 2023 at 8:36:41 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
We can all take solace in the fact that if McCarthy does sell enough of his soul to the 20 far-right hostage takers in order to gain the speakership, he will be absolutely miserable in the role for the next two years (or less, if they decide to boot him).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 5th, 2023 at 8:42:39 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
It's very pathetic on the part of the Republican holdouts, the house cannot convene until a speaker is chose, so this nonsense is essentially shutting down congress.

This is the first time this has happened in over 100 years, so this is very uncommon (to anyone saying it's routine bickering), the large majority of the party want McCarthy, just vote for him and move on, what is the end goal of the holdouts?

I am honestly thinking the Democrats should start voting for McCarthy just to prevent the MAGA-tards from getting their wish for some extreme "compromise". Then again, it is kind of great political fodder since it makes the Republicans look incompetent, so I can understand both arguments.
January 5th, 2023 at 9:25:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Many people think McCarthy wouldn’t hold to a deal with the Democrats for some votes. Or he might lose too much of his own party to succeed if he did..

But it would be fun to consider a deal and tell the MAga group. “Guess what, we agreed you can’t do all those investigation of Hunter’s laptop and every other recent conspiracy theory in the last 6 years.. sign the deal with an LOL.

( I’m not against the investigations, but would enjoy the fits they would have.)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?