1 vote (25%)
2 votes (50%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

January 5th, 2023 at 2:09:41 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I read that if this is not resolved soon, the staff of the representatives will not be paid but the elected candidates will. How is that fair?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 5th, 2023 at 7:25:18 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
What thread was it where SOOPOO offered to bet me $1 that no GOPers would vote against McCarthy?

Should have taken the bet! Easy dollar!

I’m not saying I didn’t! But I truly don’t remember! What a clown show the looney right has become! They don’t think McCarthey is conservative enough?

The vaguaries of the system led for 2 years of grossly exaggerated power for Manchin/Sinema. Now this narrow GOP house majority has done the same for the fringe right.

How about this…. 5 moderate Republicans join the Democrats to vote in Liz Cheney as Speaker?
January 7th, 2023 at 8:49:39 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
We can all take solace in the fact that if McCarthy does sell enough of his soul to the 20 far-right hostage takers in order to gain the speakership, he will be absolutely miserable in the role for the next two years (or less, if they decide to boot him).

This will age well.

McCarthy gave so much away in his quest, he is beholden to the far right loons who held his speakership hostage.

People are calling him a SINO - Speaker in name only.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 7th, 2023 at 1:11:34 PM permalink
DRich
This will age well.

McCarthy gave so much away in his quest, he is beholden to the far right loons who held his speakership hostage.

If he actually does what he promised. I for one would promise almost anything and then just never get around to it.
January 7th, 2023 at 4:53:44 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
This will age well.

Humor me. Name one thing McCarthey ‘gave away’ that a run of the mill (sort of) Republican like me would be unhappy about? The thing I keep hearing about is the ‘we actually get 72 hours to read a bill’ before we have to vote on it rule. I know Democrats are staunchly against this (remember ACA!). And they are making it easier to oust a speaker? That’s bad?

Frankly, I think this will serve to marginalize the looney right (Gaetz, Boebert, Biggs, etc..).

The joke is everyone is worried about how the Republicans in the House will be able to govern! Ummmmm…. Other than the spate of investigations they can unilaterally start, they can’t do ANYTHING without Shumer’s approval. The Omnibus bill pushes it down the road many months, but get ready for the ‘the Democrats want to spend us to bankruptcy’ and ‘the Republicans don care about America and the important programs we fund’ blame game.

George Santos for the Ethics committee?
January 7th, 2023 at 5:52:24 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: terapined
We never had this chaos when I was Speaker of the House - George Santos

George Santos was sharing a similar meme on the house floor.

January 8th, 2023 at 5:35:57 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: SOOPOO

George Santos for the Ethics committee?

LOL, that would be awesome.
January 12th, 2023 at 5:27:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Geroge Santos "I've lived an honest life."

This is like the worst true comedy ever.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 23rd, 2023 at 8:01:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Roevember aint just coming
Its here every cycle
Red waves are now in the history bin
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/abortion-could-be-a-general-election-trap-as-republicans-battle-for-the-gop-presidential-nomination-with-polling-for-the-party-s-position-in-the-basement/ar-AA17Qv0g?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=df333eb6335f4f77bdf007ffaa5fcaf8
Republicans jockeying for the presidential nomination appear poised to try to one-up themselves in a fight to favor the most restrictive abortion policies. New polling suggests that while that strategy could help them win in a primary fight, it would leave a nominee vulnerable in the general election.

A new, massive survey released Wednesday by the nonpartisan Public Religion Research Institute underlines that a majority of Americans still favor allowing abortions in most or all cases, oppose the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, and are against making it illegal to receive FDA-approved drugs, informally called abortion pills, through the mail.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 23rd, 2023 at 8:13:12 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: terapined
Roevember aint just coming
Its here every cycle
Red waves are now in the history bin
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/abortion-could-be-a-general-election-trap-as-republicans-battle-for-the-gop-presidential-nomination-with-polling-for-the-party-s-position-in-the-basement/ar-AA17Qv0g?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=df333eb6335f4f77bdf007ffaa5fcaf8
Republicans jockeying for the presidential nomination appear poised to try to one-up themselves in a fight to favor the most restrictive abortion policies. New polling suggests that while that strategy could help them win in a primary fight, it would leave a nominee vulnerable in the general election.

A new, massive survey released Wednesday by the nonpartisan Public Religion Research Institute underlines that a majority of Americans still favor allowing abortions in most or all cases, oppose the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, and are against making it illegal to receive FDA-approved drugs, informally called abortion pills, through the mail.

I’ve said this all year, no one wants an anti-choice president in the post-Roe era.

Imagine if the GOP is dumb enough to nominate Donny again. This is all his fault! Good luck.