Original Sin?

October 3rd, 2016 at 11:12:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
double
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 3rd, 2016 at 11:26:32 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
Maybe your personal experience hasn't been that great,

You know why married people cheat?
Because they're bored with having
sex with the same person because
it's, well, boring. But only a married
person would know just how un awesome
regular sex is.

Quote:
The world teeming with new life is awesome. Let's remember we are talking about another human being here.

Ever notice all the religions that have
aggressive missionary programs are dead
set against contraception? Mormons, Protestants,
Catholics. The purpose of having missionaries
is to grow the church. You can't do that by
passing out condoms. The other major religions,
Buddhism, Hindu, Islam, have no rules
against BC, for the most part they could care
less.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 3rd, 2016 at 12:13:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
You know why married people cheat?

Because they give in to temptation and risk hurting those they love the most and ruining their lives because they feel lust.

Quote:
Because they're bored with having
sex with the same person because
it's, well, boring. But only a married
person would know just how un awesome
regular sex is.

There are lots of solutions to a boring sex life rather than cheating. Only a happily married couple who have gone through those dry periods would know just how awesome regular sex is.

Quote:
Ever notice all the religions that have
aggressive missionary programs are dead
set against contraception? Mormons, Protestants,
Catholics.

Ever notice you are wrong a lot of the time. I actually don't know what Mormons teach about contraceptives but I do know my brother and sister protestants don't have a problem with birth control.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 3rd, 2016 at 12:16:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
See, you've forgotten the prevention of adultery and STDs already.

These are not ends to the marriage act (aka sex). Those are ends of a moral life.

Quote:
So having a calendar divide a couple is unity. Good to know.

Days of abstinence and days away from each often do make the heart grow fonder and the desire for sex grow.

Quote:
And being able to wait without stress for the right time to bring a child into the world, is not being open to life.

NO, waiting for the right time to bring a child into the world is one of the most reasonable and important things a married couple can do. Responsible family planning is part of being open to life.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 3rd, 2016 at 12:22:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
If you can find statistics on that stuff, I would be interested in seeing them.

Yeah I imagine they are a little different to find. Maybe we could look at the divorce rate or the suicide rate of teens.

Quote:
Whether or not it was government sponsored for funded is beside the point - that being that contraceptive availability and use is effective in reducing unwanted teen pregnancies and abortions.

Hey, I'm all for reducing teen pregnancies and abortions. I would support the government with everything I have if they developed programs for doing this that actually aimed at changing our sex saturated culture and made promiscuity not something that is promoted in almost every ad, TV show, movie, and song out now a days. The government and the Church itself is fighting a losing battle if we don't address the real reasons for teen pregnancies and abortion. It is not because of the availability of contraception or the lack of them that is the real issue.

Quote:

I guess it depends on what type of cancer you are talking about. To me any type of cancer is bad news.
October 3rd, 2016 at 12:27:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
If we begin to throw the ball of responsibility for cancer, then the person at fault is the alleged creator who built it into their creation.

Somehow, though, I don't think theists of any kind are ready to admit god, literally, causes cancer.

I guess it is true that God built free will into His creation. When this free will is abused to reject reason, to reject the creator, and to reject His plan for humanity then the consequences of the risk of giving us the opportunity to truly love and make this world a better place have to be owned by God. Lord knows we shouldn't share any of the blame, it is all God's fault, why didn't He just make us His slaves or programmed robots?
October 3rd, 2016 at 12:43:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Only a happily married couple who have gone through those dry periods would know just how awesome regular sex is.

This is a Twilight Zone conversation.
Here's a man crowing about how
awesome married sex is, and he's
never been married and doesn't
have sex. It's insane. It's insane,
just like Christianity is insane.

If I told you I'd never eaten strawberry
pie before, then went onto telling you
how wonderful and fantastic it is, you'd
think I was nuts.
October 3rd, 2016 at 12:47:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
Anyway, the church is fine with people using the pill, just not as a contraceptive:

http://www.catechism.cc/articles/QA.htm

I think first of all we have to be clear who the author is in your link. He has predicted that the Lord will return in the year 2437. This is a strange prediction. He also predicted that Hillary Clinton would win the last presidential election she ran in, maybe he was just off a couple of years on that one. There are other strange unorthodox ideas he holds. However, that being said I didn't find much wrong in the answers to the questions you linked to.

Quote:
Questions aren't numbered, it is a little more than half way down, "Can an unmarried woman, who is not sexually active, use the contraceptive pill for a medical purpose?"

So cancer is not a reason to not use the pill.

As with all medicines you have to weigh the risks. If the symptoms you are treating, like a disease are such that you are reasonably able to risk an increased possibility of cancer than you can morally chose to do so. If you have no illness but would like to stop the natural and healthy processes of your body to engage in sexual activity while at the same time raising your risks of cancer this is not a reasonable or moral decision.

Quote:
It also says that if you are using the oral contraceptive for non-contraceptive uses, you are not allowed to have sex, because it is also a contraceptive. You are also not allowed to withold sex while married except under grave circumstances, so basically if you are married you aren't allowed to reap the medical benefits of the pill.

If you are unmarried it is ok though.

He seems to argue that if you really need to be on the pill for medical reasons and you are married then you have to abstain from sexual activity and that is obviously a huge deal in marriages. Therefore, as you mentioned, this would only be the case in very grave situations. I wonder if there are such grave situations? Is there an illness that can only be treated by the birth control pill and nothing else?
October 3rd, 2016 at 12:49:36 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

If I told you I'd never eaten strawberry
pie before, then went onto telling you
how wonderful and fantastic it is, you'd
think I was nuts.

If I one time ate a bad strawberry pie and then told you that all strawberry pies were not good then you would think I am nuts.
October 3rd, 2016 at 12:51:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
I guess it is true that God built free will into His creation. When this free will is abused to reject reason, to reject the creator, and to reject His plan for humanity

Blah de blah blah blah. You do love
to ramble on about complete nonsense.
You have your god's every move figured
out because you are your god. You
invent him and then project the qualities
you invent onto your invention. You're
a fiction writer, you can make your god
dance any jig you choose because he
only exists in your head.

I could only imagine being stuck on a
desert island with you and you blathered
this drivel night and day. I'd move
as far as I could get from you to keep
from going as insane as you obviously
are.